playMaker

Author Topic: FSM Scene/Object Serialization?  (Read 2204 times)

craigz

• Beta Group
    • Haven Made
FSM Scene/Object Serialization?
« on: August 23, 2018, 04:20:33 PM »
So I remember seeing this thread a while back about someone digging into serializing FSM's.

**warning dont click the link to Mike's blog inside that post, looks like its gone and might have been replaced with spam site  ::)

https://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=1807.0

I was wondering, is it possible at all to serialize FSM's in that same way still? I know Sirenix (makers of Odin on the asset store) open sourced their awesome (from what I've heard) serialization system.

https://github.com/TeamSirenix/odin-serializer

best,

craigz

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: FSM Scene/Object Serialization?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 03:33:46 AM »
Hi,

yes, odin stuff are amazing.

what would be your end goal for serializing fsms?

Bye,

Jean

craigz

• Beta Group
    • Haven Made
Re: FSM Scene/Object Serialization?
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 10:45:00 PM »
Primarily a way to save the game state :)

The past few years I've really been struggling with my world map and storing all sorts of nested data. (Locations that have array lists of units stored there, armies walking around with unique names that have unique unit lists... etc) and at first I used Player Prefs, but it was super limiting, quiiiickly jumped over to Easy Save, but I was having to build a ton of initialization checks for the data, so instead I then ported everything over to Game Data Editor which has been great, but from the way I hear people talk about serialization it just sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

Granted this is without me really understanding how it would fit in a Playmaker context. But the way I envision it is if scenes loaded with whatever prior variables were set to the last time it was open, that would be fantastic :)