playMaker

Author Topic: Working with Prefab FSM VERY slow  (Read 2234 times)

DanielThomas

• Beta Group
Working with Prefab FSM VERY slow
« on: August 25, 2018, 05:06:08 PM »
I'm using Unity 2018.2.2 (also tried with 2.5) and Playmaker 1.9 (also tried with latest beta).

I have maybe 30-50 game objects that are from a prefab. My problem is when editing the prefab it takes around 10 seconds every time I make an edit the FSM.

If I delete the prefab instances in the scene, editing the prefab FSM goes smooth again.

It is also true when duplicating, changing inspector settings etc WITH the playmaker editor open. It takes several seconds for updating.

Is there any solutions to this or will I need to come up with custom ones like gameobjects that spawn prefabs with particular settings?

In Playmaker preference I tried turning off all debug settings, also mocked around with the prefab setting, but still very slow.

Any tips or solutions?

« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 05:14:33 PM by DanielThomas »

nFighter

• Beta Group
    • multiplayer adult fighting
Re: Working with Prefab FSM VERY slow
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 09:37:48 AM »
Do you use any "call method" or "get/set property" directly? In my experience all direct communication with external objects could slow down the editor dramatically.
indie developer of multiplayer adult fighting
http://nakedfighter3d.com

DanielThomas

• Beta Group
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 02:51:16 PM »
Do you use any "call method" or "get/set property" directly? In my experience all direct communication with external objects could slow down the editor dramatically.
The particular problem I have doesn't seem to be affected by this (even if I have 5 of call method + set property in the whole project). I tried a new project, create a prefab with some states, events and variables (just for testing). The prefabs has around 5-7 FSM. I have around 50-70 instances of this prefab in the scene. I now try and edit the prefab FSM and I get the slow waits for each edit as mentioned above.

It would be interestering to hear what is hapening under the hood when you have the Playmaker up when editing an prefab. Is it updating the FSM's of the prefab instances for every edit? Would that explain the slowdown?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 02:00:34 AM »
Hi

this happens when you are editing a prefab and this prefab has instances in the scene currently open, it synchronizes changes and it's slowing down the editor.

close that scene, and now you can edit the prefab without any problem. Hopefully a solution will be found to not have this performances issues when editing prefabs, but for now, this is the way I am aware of.

Bye,

Jean

DanielThomas

• Beta Group
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 06:17:14 AM »
Thanks for confirming this. I guess I will have a prefab scene to work on prefabs or use spawner objects.