playMaker

Author Topic: What options are there for 2d navigation systems?  (Read 3695 times)

serenefox

• Serenefox Games
What options are there for 2d navigation systems?
« on: October 09, 2018, 10:29:27 PM »
I am using polynav right now but I am having trouble with it. I am communicating with the author but just in case it doesn’t suit my needs for my game is there any other playmaker friendly 2d navigation assets? I saw a* navigation on the asset store, but from what I have seen the playmaker actions aren’t being updated for that one. Any suggestions? I need something that isn’t point to point or steering type of things. I need to have it able to build at runtime too because I have a dungeon generator that builds a dungeon at start.
Most Recent Published Games:
Juicy Theater - Android

Thore

Re: What options are there for 2d navigation systems?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 12:36:18 AM »
NavMesh used to have problems with 2D, but AFAIK works now, too.

serenefox

• Serenefox Games
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 11:01:53 AM »
Hi Thore,

I can’t seem to find any information about 2d navmesh on the Unity docs. I saw some posts on the forum about it but from what I can’t tell it’s not officially supported and to get it to work it’s a pretty big work around.
Juicy Theater - Android

serenefox

• Serenefox Games
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 04:26:50 PM »
I just wanted to bump this and ask does get/set property work on console platforms? If so I might pick up the a Star navigation.
Juicy Theater - Android

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 10:13:28 PM »
Hi.
I believe that they work for all platforms.
But you will need to use the Linker wizard.

Do you have a link to the asset?

serenefox

• Serenefox Games
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 11:13:35 PM »
Hi Djaydino,

I have used the linked wizard for iOS, but I wasn’t sure about other platforms, thanks for the info! And yeah I am looking at this asset:

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/ai/a-pathfinding-project-pro-87744
Juicy Theater - Android

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 12:15:06 AM »
Hi.
I was thinking maybe i could make some action for it but it is a little bit expencive for me (for now)

tcmeric

• Beta Group
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 12:38:33 AM »
I have some actions for it, but for 3d only. There are all kinds of mesh types and hundreds+ variables/methods. Its a huge project, that keeps changing. Therefore I did not release my actions for it.

That being said, I have about 6 - 10 private video tutorials and a bunch of actions if people want to try. You can get it by joining https://invite-playmaker-slack.herokuapp.com and pinging me (tcmeric). There I can send you the files, and video links, etc.

I am happy to support the actions themselves, but unfortunately I have no time these days to help people with the A* part. (Which I am no longer using). In most cases, navmesh is good enough now. And much easier.

tcmeric

• Beta Group
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 12:39:33 AM »
Also, PS. Have you tried polynav? Has playmaker support, 2d and is much cheaper: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/ai/poly-nav-2d-pathfinding-14718

serenefox

• Serenefox Games
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 11:00:40 AM »
@djaydino yeah it is expensive, I shouldn’t even be buying it but I am pretty much stuck without navigation.

@tcmeric I have polynav in my project now but I am having a problem with it. I am in contact with the author but so far it doesn’t seem to look good. The problem I am having with polynav is the navigation agent causes a huge frame rate drop when a polynav obstacle is between the agent and a moving target that it’s following every frame. I would love to keep polynav in my project but I can’t have that framerate drop.
Juicy Theater - Android

DanielThomas

• Beta Group
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 06:38:31 PM »
@serenefox
Read what I wrote here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/2d-navmesh-pathfinding.503596/#post-3736336

I was in the same situation as you when working on my 2D game:
- Polynav gave big fps drops when following a target and there is an obstacle between them.
- Astar project doesn't have any official Playmaker actions.
- Unity's native navigation doesn't support 2D out of the box
So I did what I mentioned in the URL above. It looks like it works so far, but it just feel a bit hacky and you just wonder why the eff Unity not just add some 2D support (yes, it's probably not as easy as it seems, like with everything else).
To positive side is that there is plenty of playmaker actions and it feels fast.

serenefox

• Serenefox Games
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 08:45:42 PM »
@DanielThomas haha I saw your post a while ago already when this whole thing started. And yes I was tempted to try it actually a few nights ago, but I haven’t been able to yet. I just sent the author of polynav a repro project (wth just polynav in there of course) so I am waiting to hear back from them before I go any further. But what you posted was my next step. I am just a little worried about the hacky way of going about it.
Juicy Theater - Android

DanielThomas

• Beta Group
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2018, 02:04:51 PM »
@serenefox Cool, for sure let me know if he manages to optimize polynav!

serenefox

• Serenefox Games
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2018, 10:09:24 PM »
@DanielThomas I will definitely. If the author can fix this problem with the moving target with obstacles in between then polynav would be the best 2d navigation asset in my opinion. It’s just this last roadblock that is stopping everything.
Juicy Theater - Android