playMaker

Author Topic: Our game is out! Superstar Athlete on Android  (Read 17786 times)

smiffy

• Junior Playmaker
Re: Our game is out! Superstar Athlete on Android
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 08:03:06 PM »
I think I covered most things in the post mortem earlier in this thread. The main thing I found on Android was that because every manufacturer has their own version of Android the time it takes to get it working on every system is just crazy and just really eats into time that would be better spent polishing.

Id probably look at doing multiple versions with stripped down graphics for less powerful handsets next time and factor in an extra month for the added effort.

Debugging was pretty painless, there were no major issues. The whole thing was done in Playmaker so no scripts apart from a one to run at 30fps and couldn't afford external help, I'm not a programmer either:)

They have Android exclusivity, I have iOS and own the IP and all assets.

Oh and the music was done in a day by a mate of mine who I really can't thank enough but can't name as his current employer wouldn't be too happy:) Originally though I had the theme to Superstars in there. It worked really well so I mailed EMI and asked them how much their library music costs and they said £100 per 30 seconds for a mobile licence which covers iPhone/iPad & Android versions. Couldn't afford the £300 it would have cost me but definitely next time. All their music is on the site or on Spotify under KPM.

Thanks for the questions:)

Sjones

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 09:52:24 PM »
When they localized your game for android, can you then use that localisation for other OS's like the iOS? or do they have exclusivity on their translation?

smiffy

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 08:35:29 AM »
Hmm good question, Don't think ownership of that aspect is mentioned in the contract but I was given the ok to release exactly the same version to iOS so I don't think it's really an issue.

Sjones

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 06:20:46 AM »
hay smiffy, just wondering if your able to sahre any more information on the sales of your game, you said you would have a better idea in the new year on how well it has sold.

I am also wondering at what stage of development did you get in contact with your publishers?

just had another thought / question, how did you find your publishers?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 07:03:46 AM by Sjones »

smiffy

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 08:32:03 AM »
Hi SJones, so it didn't do too badly, but not as well as they expected. Still don't have proper figures but I meet on Wednesday with them so maybe I'll have something then but not holding my breath. But cash wise It's done ok, basically paid for the development time I spent on it and enough to create the next game. They did another promotion for it over xmas in foreign territories where it did best so that's something to look forward to later in the year.

I was in contact with the publishers more or less from the start. A few of us started a company mainly to get into iptv and apps, and one of us already had close ties with the publishers so we had an easy in.

And to answer your pm about pausing, when the phone rings or otherwise interrupts your game it takes priority. Your game needs pause quickly with minimal fuss, and you may wish to look at saving when you pause that way as the user may just close your app. It's less hassle to just pause everything, music and all.

You could create two types of pause I guess, one for the user with animation and music, one for if the device calls onApplicationPause that stops everything.
I use pause controller from the unity store, it's pretty good.