playMaker

Author Topic: Building for Android hangs after update to latest Playmaker  (Read 2514 times)

Dakk

• Beta Group
  • Playmaker Newbie
Building for Android hangs after update to latest Playmaker
« on: March 22, 2019, 01:42:42 PM »
After updating to Unity 2018.3.9f1 from 2018.2.20f1 I got my Android build working well.  When I went to edit an FSM I encountered the prefab editing problem so I updated to the latest Playmaker within the editor via the PM welcome screen.   This fixed the ability to edit FSMs.  But I could no longer build to Android- the build will always hang on Building Scene0.
Playmaker version is the only difference from being able to build to Android.  I can't roll back to the earlier PM version that works for building as I need to be able to edit my FSM's.
Any information on how to get around this appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
Re: Building for Android hangs after update to latest Playmaker
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 02:51:11 PM »
Are there any errors in the console when you build? If you wait does the build finish? We have a bug report of builds taking a lot longer that we're looking into now...

Dakk

• Beta Group
  • Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 06:24:19 PM »
Hi Alex,
Under normal conditions the game builds in 2-3 minutes.  I've let this run for ~30 minutes.  Once it did progress to Scene1- so I let it run longer but it did not finish (maybe an hour, I wasn't counting).
Nothing appears in the console and I have to force quit Unity.
Thanks for looking into it.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 09:39:27 PM »
Do you mind if I send you an invite to the PlayMaker beta? It will be the easiest way to test builds with your project...

Dakk

• Beta Group
  • Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 04:01:06 PM »
Yes, that would be good.
Thanks

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 05:35:03 PM »
Thanks, I'll send you an invite.

Does it also hang if you use PlayMaker > Tools > Preprocess Prefab FSMs?

thirdeyenz

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 08:04:33 AM »
I'm having the exact same problem with 1.9.0.p11 in Unity 2018.3.9f1, Windows 7. I managed to get a scene with only a camera and light in it to build after about 30 minutes or so. My game scenes get to Scene1 but then just hang for hours with no end in sight. Scene0 is the menu scene. No errors pop up in the console window. I also have to force quit Unity.

Is there another way I can get this debugging for you?

thirdeyenz

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 09:25:12 AM »
Tried 1.9.0.p12, same problem. Tried Preprocess Prefab FSMs and Unity has not responded for over half an hour. I'll have to force close it. No progress bar appeared and nothing came up in the console, it just froze.

PlaymakerNOOB

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 08:04:05 AM »
i had a similar issue.  It was due to using easy save 3 that was having a stack overflow error upon the start of an android build (but fine for editor)

You should check your unity log
On mac, open the console app, then expand ~/Library/Logs and look at the editor.log

Its best to clear the log with the clear button and then create an android build so its easiest to see the error as it happens.  Should happen right after you name the android APK.

thirdeyenz

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 02:42:16 AM »
Thanks for that. I've skimmed over my log but can't see anything about a stack overflow but I went here: https://moodkie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1452 and applied their fix "It looks like this is related to a bug at Unity's end which they are yet to fix, despite them saying it would be available in Unity 2018.

Going to Window > Easy Save 3 > Settings and unchecking Auto Update References should stop it from happening in the meantime."

Doing this has stopped the problem and my game now builds and works fine so thanks again, I'd never have thought of that.

Edit: I've just found that having that turned off causes errors that kill builds unless you only turn it off right before a build so it's references are up to date. It updates on Play and Build so Play your game with it on, then turn it off and do a build. That worked for me. Annoying but it works.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 09:25:05 AM by thirdeyenz »

PlaymakerNOOB

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 09:16:04 AM »
yeah np.  My log was filled with weird errors that were not descriptive and finally around the 20th time it showed up as an ES3 error and thats the breakthrough i needed to figure it out.