playMaker

Author Topic: Assetbundle workflow?  (Read 4000 times)

Jbro

• Playmaker Newbie
Assetbundle workflow?
« on: April 09, 2019, 11:36:02 PM »
I'm evaluating whether playmaker would be a good solution for updating my game with DLC mini-game content using assetbundles.

I looked around the forums but didn't find any workflow on how to do this safely. I'm mostly concerned with iOS builds stripping out necessary code.

Other visual scripting tools do not support assetbundles since some auto-generate code and is used with diagrams. I guess Playmaker is different?

tcmeric

• Beta Group
Re: Assetbundle workflow?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 12:04:14 AM »
Hi, playmaker does support asset bundles. I dont have personal experience with the apple store, but I know others have used it. There is no reason it should not.

You can download from my github playmaker actions to support asset bundles here: https://github.com/dumbgamedev/playmaker_assetbundle

This unite talk shows the asset bundle browser tool, which is also visual:
I have a hidden video here (because the video quality is low) but if you follow along with what i say, you can see how to use the actions, etc with playmaker.

Jbro

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 01:18:53 AM »
Thanks for the reply!

What about having playmaker state machines in assetbundles and loading prefabs with the states attached themselves and have them perhaps implement mini-games?

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 01:51:27 AM »
Hi.
The fsms and its data are saved inside the scenes and on the prefab objects, so that should work :)

tcmeric

• Beta Group
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 04:54:37 AM »
As djaydino says, it works that have playmaker statemachines in asset bundles. The only limitation is they cannot directly use global vars (think like singleton static vars). Instead they just have to search for it. Not a big deal.

BDFgames

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 07:48:34 AM »
Hi tcmeric. Just trying to get my head around Asset Bundles. Thanks for your work on the Actions for them.  :)

Once you've loaded an Asset Bundle that has, say, a set of prefabs, do you then need to somehow perform a Load Asset for the prefab before you can use Create Object, or is there some implicit loading of the assets (e.g. prefabs) contained in the bundle so you can use Create Object immediately?

Looking forward to your reply. Thanks in advance.  :)