playMaker

Author Topic: Default FSM reference Template  (Read 3269 times)

Padenlee

• Junior Playmaker
  • You can't hit what you don't shoot for!
Default FSM reference Template
« on: July 17, 2019, 05:13:44 PM »
I would love the option to select a template be the default FSM when creating a new FSM.
-Paden Pierry
@padenpierry
Apple inc.'s first TV show, EP 1.
Game Dev since 2007
Coolest client: Bridgestone

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Default FSM reference Template
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 02:35:24 AM »
Hi :)

Well, it's already pretty direct to do that when you right click on the fsm editor.

Would that do?

Bye,

Jean

Padenlee

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 01:13:09 PM »
Yes, the template menu system is epic and works great  8). This is very much a "big project" feature request, where after 3 months of development I discovered needing an initialize/setup frame in all my FSM's in order to load saved data, but I would have to change hundreds of FSM's at this point. For my next project I would want to have a Setup state and a Start state in all my FSM's.

Another use case is when making a multiplayer game, I make countless IsMine start states on all my Photon Initialized Prefabs.

This request is to facilitate very large projects (My favorite kind). I also think that 99% of Playmaker projects stay small and only a few developers actually make it to the late game of development and needing features like this.

Another similar solution would be to have a Playmaker setting tick box of "Use Setup Frame" this would delay all the FSMs in the scene by 1 frame allowing time to process data before the START event fires. You'd also need another tick box on all the FSMs of "Startup FSMS" to specify some FSM's to handle the setup phase and ignore the setup frame.

-Paden Pierry
@padenpierry
Game Dev since 2007

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 04:01:12 AM »
Hi,

ok, now I get what you want, you want a default FSM.

I don't see this happening for Playmaker 1.0 ,but for PlayMaker 2.0 this would a very good request to make.

Are you part of the beta?

Bye,

Jean

Padenlee

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 11:04:14 AM »
PLAYMAKER 2?!??!?!?! *'O'* How have I not known about this?!?! Very cool! Just when I feel like I know what this community is up to, BOOM! Something new hits me XD

I think I am part of the Beta, I know I was at one point. How do I check?
-Paden Pierry
@padenpierry
Game Dev since 2007

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 04:16:47 AM »
Hi,

PlayMaker 2.0 is still in closed beta cycle, so there it's not available at the moment, it's a work in progress with ground breaking changes and lots of brain storming. it's too soon to test in open beta.

Bye,

Jean

Padenlee

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 01:32:05 PM »
My number 1# request is having a universal "Playmaker way" of making games with Playmaker 2.0. Have a list of the mandatory features to make a AAA app, nothing missing.

Load/Save
DataMaker database cloud sync/analytics (I suggest FireBase)
Socials integration out of the box
Login system out of the box
IAP (Which we have)
Controller Model View (Proper code structure) suggested to all users.
etc.

Then run people through this method and have them have a 80% complete app before they need to start hacking on their own. I feel like Playmaker is soooooo universal that people struggle to get ahold of how to make a completed product and ship. I'd guess that 0.01% of projects started with Playmaker actually ship. SquareSpace has a 2% website publication rate which is where I think Playmaker should be for shipped games built with it.

I'm going to get my current app into open Beta and fill out my YouTube channel with the "Playmaker Way" of making games. It's going to be about how to 'actually' ship apps with Playmaker. I feel like all the info out there is as broad as the ocean and shallow as a puddle.

In closing, I think people should start with "This is how you do it" then move onto "make whatever you want". I wish I had that structure with Playmaker from the beginning.
-Paden Pierry
@padenpierry
Game Dev since 2007

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 02:28:42 AM »
Hi,

I don't think this is where 2.0 is heading. Your wish list is good, but it's still very peripheral to what PlayMaker is at its core.

- load/save: playerpref is supported, resources also, asset bundle is agnostic to PlayMaker, so I think we are pretty good here, right?
- external/online Data handling: there is no universal way, we can't commit to a given solution, like firebase, why not google, or else? I use public googlesheet all the time, because it's fast, but what if you don't...
- Social integration: the same, too many variants across platform to provide a stable solution.
- Login: the same, what back end? AAA studios will never agree to change their current solution to use ours.
- MVC is impossible to do properly within Unity Component based architecture...

These things are best left to the discretion of each studio, we provide as much as we can on the Ecosystem, as semi official work, for you to get a headstart on these topics, but if you do have a AAA budget, these things will be discuss almost as a political decision and not a technical decision, we can't insert ourselves in there and force studios to stick with an external provider of our choice, this is not a good idea at all.

Bye,

Jean

Padenlee

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 02:08:45 PM »
Thanks for the replay Jean, always a pleasure to get feedback from ya!
Reading back over my post it sounded a bit aggressive I think, must have not had my coffee that morning XD My bad! I always try and keep it chill.

I want to start with I can be totally be wrong and have no idea of what I'm talking about, it has been known to happen from time to time XD

The point I'm trying to make is to have the Playmaker team pick the "best" solutions for issues listed, then make those best solutions always supported. I get that it will take picking sides but it needs to be done I personally think. I honestly don't mind if its Google, Amazon, Parse, etc. Just that there is a solution supported.

With the category of online databases/storage not being supported is the most striking, the idea of "There are so many possibilities" is the reason for not supporting any of them is odd to me. I know Parse was supported for awhile, but I've tried twice to get that working again to no avail, definitely a lack of skill on my part as an artist. I also think using Google Sheets is just not an option for a production product.

• Load/Save - EasySave handles this for the most part. Encryption is a must so PlayerPrefs won't work because they are insecure (I believe I heard that somewhere).
  • Databases - I suggest Firebase because it's what most new startups use and its built on AWS, the entire idea is to remove the headache of DB management. It also has an awesome dynamic database and push notifications out of the box.
  • Social integration - I'd suggest supporting a few of the big ones Facebook, Twitter, Instagram would be a good start.
  • Login - Would be easy if there was 1 primary online database solution for PM
  • MVC - I thought MVC was your personal favorite structure when using PM, braking FMS's into those roles? Regardless, the spirit is to create a PM FSM architecture for new users to follow.

I'm moving into a new apartment now and will have a dedicated YouTube room for making PM tutorials and game dev vids. I'm hyper dedicated on helping make PM a go-to tool for indies, the above reasons are some of the largest hurdles I can think of that prevent it from happening. I'm going to try and help as much as I can to find the solutions to these myself, I would love some help from the PM team as well.
-Paden Pierry
@padenpierry
Game Dev since 2007

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 02:04:10 AM »
Hi,

no worries at all :) it's also good sometimes to just express yourself. I know you mean well.

regarding supporting third party, this only can be done succesfully if both party agrees and are actively seeking long term partnership support, this is true with many assets already, like photon and other publishers, we are regularly in contact so that we maintain a proper support.

for online database, I have this issue on my radar since day one, and there are no ideal way out unfortunatly. We can't support once solution over another as they are clearly in competition and there are no real #1 we can rely on, I made the mistake to believe in Parse when it came out and it was looking good until Facebook killed it. So now I am advocating self hosting data systems and from my experience it's far more sound as a business solution and far more safe...

that's why I put so much effort in ArrayMaker and DataMaker ( xml and json), I use them in private project for high profile clients and they work. I connect to anything I want really, because all these saas eventually output xml or json, for example I use googlesheet a lot for simple data and datamaker works wonder with this, I even release the tool I use on this projects on the ecosystem as a sample.

loadsave: go for easysave, it has playmaker support built in. There are other solutions as well. I don't think we should temper with that right now.

DataBases: too much solutions to stick to one safely, it's better to write a rest api for your needs and use datamaker as a go between using json or xml for data. you also have mysql assets on the store which support playmaker should you want full access to a database

Social integration: total mess! you need to be 100% dedicated on this to provide a good cross platform social integration system. again I totally recommend using an asset that does just that and provides playmaker support.

Login: same thing too many options, no clear #1...

MVC: I agree, and I tend to think along that when I build stuff, It works well with PlayMaker, but you need a strong convention system to enforce in your project for this to work, else it's messay very quickly. I made few samples on the ecosystem following MVC approach as much as possible. It's not for beginners, but if you are ready to go next level on development, it's worth knowing about this kind of organisation technic.

tutorials are welcome!!!

Bye,

Jean

Bye,

Jean