playMaker

Author Topic: Game Creator Integration  (Read 17426 times)

tcmeric

• Beta Group
Game Creator Integration
« on: August 17, 2019, 01:38:27 AM »
Hi, I have created a few playmaker actions to integrate with game creator. Game creator has its own 'action / trigger' system, vars, etc. However, I am primarily using it for its nice 3d person character controller. Has a decent camera, input, animation controller etc that is not overly complicated to use.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/systems/game-creator-89443

Anyways, you can get my playmaker actions here. They are a work in progress: https://github.com/dumbgamedev/gamecreator

I am primarily using for NPCs. So playmaker actions like, follow, move to, stop, do game creator actions, etc.

cel

Re: Game Creator Integration
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 08:37:53 AM »
brilliant...

just a few suggestion for future actions if I may:

send a playmaker variable to game creator
get a gamecreator variable
access the gamemaker player properties (can jump, speed, can run, is controllable...)
get game creator trigger/ conditions

tcmeric

• Beta Group
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 08:44:10 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Making an PM action to send and get game variables is on the list. I ran into a few small problems. Unfortunately, the creator of Game Creator is away for another 2 weeks or so. His yearly vacation. Once he is back, hopefully, we can get that sorted.

Get game creator trigger? Do you have a specific suggestion for this one?

Here is my idea. If we want a game creator trigger to send an event to playmaker, I think maybe we can make a game creator action that sends an event to playmaker by name. For game creator, the trigger (as far as I can tell), can only trigger a game creator action. Therefore we need to take that extra step. 

Game Creator Trigger -> Game Creator Action --> Playmaker Event.

Maybe there is a way can make a PM action to subscribe (listen) to for a specific game creator event (I can investigate), but that PM action would need to be active. (The PM action would need to be in a PM state and that state on). So the downside would be, once playmaker got the trigger, it couldnt fire again (unless it came back to that PM state is started listening again).

cel

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 03:37:19 AM »
Hi tcmeric,

Any more progress on this?... looking forward for some more actions, especially access the gamemaker player properties (can jump, speed, can run, is controllable...)

tcmeric

• Beta Group
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 02:08:06 AM »
Hi, not much more. I was hoping to make some variable actions, but by the time the owner go back, my window to work on it has closed. Unfortunately, I am pretty busy with another project for a little bit.

However, I did take a few moments to make those actions for you.

I added them to the github page: https://github.com/dumbgamedev/gamecreator

cel

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 03:32:26 AM »
You-re a star, I really appreciate it, Thank you so much Tmeric ;D ;D ;D

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 06:30:11 AM »
Is Game Creator a good addition to Playmaker or does it replace it?
Is it faster for prototyping very simple ideas? To me it seems to do that but I'm not sure how far it can go.

cel

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 08:01:46 AM »
I only use game creator because of how easy it is to add animations to a character and it's camera motors. Basically I create actions in Game creator that animate the character (walk, crouch, jump, pick up ...) and then I call them from playmaker, personally I find it it still has some ways to go, and it doesn't replace playmaker for me, but hell, its easy to add states and animation clips to your characters... just my 2 cents

tcmeric

• Beta Group
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 09:43:05 AM »
I agree. I am using for NPC character controllers. The animation and controller system is pretty straight forward to use. For me, the visual scripting solution it comes with is not a replacement for playmaker. Although it does have a few neat tricks.

cel

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 04:01:04 AM »
Hi tcmeric,

Any news on the variables actions by any chance?

cel

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 03:00:29 PM »
A friendly bump

cel

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2019, 05:07:42 PM »
since this seemed a bit dead I made some actions for playmaker to access all of Gamecreator's local variables.

Local Number, Bool, String, GameObject, Color, Sprite, Texture2d, Vector2 and Vector3

Drag the game object that contains the Gamecreator variable into the Gamecreator gameobject, choose if you want to look in the children of the game object for the variable (according to the docs this comes at some performance cost, so, drag the object that contains the variable you want)
Define the name of the variable you want (if the variable name can't be found or doesn't exist the action will throw an error in unity's log)
Choose the playmaker variable to use
Choose to do it on enter or every frame (useful if you need to check if a Gamecreator variable has changed)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5585uiwmbth5dpl/AAC4JUeM-K5t1t7Ask7mgwXNa?dl=0

Tuxxer at the Gamecreator discord made some actions to access some global actions, I've started adapting them to cover all the global variables.

I've tested the actions to the best of my ability, the code probably needs some cleaning (I haven't had any problems so far), so please test them and let me know if there is any problem

Big thanks to Jean for his help and maybe this could go on the ecosystem?

Thanks

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2019, 01:34:47 AM »
Hi,

Great. Maybe we should contact the publisher and see if support can not be shipped directly? this would be a good cross promotion leverage.

Have you been in contact with the publisher at all in that process?

Bye,

Jean

TerraImagina

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2020, 05:11:29 AM »
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5585uiwmbth5dpl/AAC4JUeM-K5t1t7Ask7mgwXNa?dl=0

Hi Cel,

I would be interested to use playmaker and game creator together,
Would you mind sharing the actions you made one again ?
The link to the files is not working atm.

Thank you :)

cel

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2020, 07:51:29 AM »
Sure, I've been working on this for some time now, I've done around 150 actions, give me a couple of weeks to finish or let me know which actions you need and I'll send them to you