playMaker

Author Topic: Graph View's Tabs area: such a waste of screen space when empty  (Read 1186 times)

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
Graph View's Tabs area: such a waste of screen space when empty
« on: September 04, 2019, 06:44:39 AM »
In Graph View, one finds on the right side the area dedicated to the tabs. Now it can be stretched to become larger but I'm yet to find a proper advantage to that.

If anything, I find this area quite annoying at times when trying to find a way to display most of the Graph View without eating too much screen space at the expense of the other windows.

In the Graph View, a tab's content is divided into two sections: the one where there is something to display such as info about the FSM, actions in a state, etc., and the other section where there is nothing, an empty area that consumes screen estate for no reason whatsoever.

What I would find very useful is if we could:

- make this area alpha transparent (float, 0 to 1).
- make it click through (bool), to select states.

The background of the section that displays info should, however, remain fully opaque and block all mouse clicks so they would not select anything hidden behind this section of the tab area.

Also, maybe of only modifying the alpha, perhaps we could control the color too.

Note that there would be an issue to solve with the scrolling bars, which appear when using the mouse's middle button.

In the future, this could be pushed up to a variant where each tab button actually opens a pop up floating window which would be anchored to the right by default but could be moved around.