playMaker

Author Topic: Good way to read long strings?  (Read 841 times)

Unrighteous

• Playmaker Newbie
Good way to read long strings?
« on: October 22, 2019, 03:20:37 PM »
Hello, I'm currently writing dialogue for my game by using a string variable and modifying that string in different states.

I've been using "Set String Value," but the text field is a bit inconvenient. It doesn't display on a new line once you reach the end of the box like unity text components, it just keeps going, and this makes it difficult to read.

I am using another text app to write the text out first, and then just copy/pasting to the string value box, but if I want to quickly check what states say what in my FSM, I have to scroll through the text only viewing a handful of characters at a time. This makes quickly identifying large paragraphs really annoying.

Another problem is that when a state has enough actions to include a scroll bar, the scroll bar actually cuts off the end of the text, which makes it difficult to check for errors as you can't see the punctuation at the end of your line. (Picture attached; there is a period at the end, but no way to see it).

So basically, I was wondering if there is better way to view and modify strings in states. My current setup using "Set String Value" is really convenient, the only thing I really want is a text box that automatically includes line breaks, so I can easily read my text.

Thank you for your time.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 03:22:47 PM by Unrighteous »

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Good way to read long strings?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 06:29:53 PM »
Hi.
I think the problem is that you can also set line break when pressing enter and it will also set the string with the line breaks.
So it would be hard to indicate a 'Real' line break or a line break due to reaching the end of the box.

I hope you understand what i mean.

You could maybe use something like wordpad or something to write the text and then copy/paste in the text box.

If you have a lot of dialogues you might want to look into using xml and datamaker.