playMaker

Author Topic: Can A Beginner Use Unity PlayMaker?  (Read 1604 times)

stevejock1

• Playmaker Newbie
Can A Beginner Use Unity PlayMaker?
« on: February 15, 2020, 07:23:19 AM »
Hi,

I have no experience in game making. Could I make a simple 3d game in playmaker? I am trying to make a 3d village/town with a few NPC characters and dialogue. Is there a dialogue system in playmaker? Thanks.

Thore

Re: Can A Beginner Use Unity PlayMaker?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 07:08:27 PM »
Only you can know what you can do, or learn. Playmaker is not a dialogue system, but it can be used to make one. With Playmaker you can create game logic using a visual graph editor and state machine logic. But depending on what you need, there may be specific dialogue system assets to check out.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 01:46:36 AM »
Hi,

you need to start learning Unity and PLayMaker, and then you will gain the confidence and skills to create your game, but during the learning phase, you will need to go with the flow and it might not be exactly what you want to achieve, but it will be necessary for you to acquire the skills and extrapolate on how you can use them to achieve your goals.

indeed, PlayMaker is not constraining you in any types of gameplay, therefore, there is no built in dialogue system, you can create one from scratch using playmaker of course, or use one from the asset store ( check that it has playmaker support)

Bye,

Jean

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 03:36:44 AM »
Hi,

I have no experience in game making. Could I make a simple 3d game in playmaker? I am trying to make a 3d village/town with a few NPC characters and dialogue.

Yes. Actually many students in school could save their $$$$$ and directly stay at home or work with friends, starting from scratch.
What you need is:

- a (logical) brain
- dedication and self-discipline

You're going to code without typing text. It's fantastic but if you don't get the basic point of if/then loops, do this and that, etc., you will not get anywhere.
There are then some tricks to learn. For example, you can put several FSMs on a Game Object, but don't forget that Unity is not built to allow several components of the same type on a Game Object, so if it sends events, it will do it to the first FSM you created (regardless of how you name them or order them in the Inspector window).
Use plenty of commentaries to explain to yourself what you did. You can add commentaries to FSM (description), you can add them to States (description too) and you can even add an empty Comment action inside a State. They act like memory notes. Imagine you're the guy in the Memento movie. You need notes.

Is there a dialogue system in playmaker? Thanks.

Nope but if you can get a bit of money from parents, friends or make quick case through a quick weekend job, you'd be able to secure the Dialogue System plugin.
https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/ai/dialogue-system-for-unity-11672
Yes, considering the price, it will either be that or the next Fifa.  ;D

Final advice: START A VERY SIMPLE PROJECT.
Don't even jump at what you wanted to do first.
Also, be prepared to do plenty of tests, either by creating different projects or eventually having a "Tests" Game Object in your Hierarchy (and perhaps Project structure) where you'll shove all the Game Objects and FSMs in which you'll run your experiments to quickly understand the behavior of Playmaker or Unity functions.