playMaker

Author Topic: Ketch'Up & May'O  (Read 2354 times)

blackant

• http://blackantmaster.com
    • blackantmaster.com
Ketch'Up & May'O
« on: April 01, 2020, 06:23:34 PM »
Hello everybody !

here is the new update of the alpha for the game project Ketch'Up & May'O !
version Alpha 0.0.0011 is out and you can play this little short demo by downloading the game from

itch.io or indiedb

let's see what is it about...

I started this game in 2015, after an adventure who drived me to the gamescom and tokyo gameshow with a team for witch i was firstly working as graphist... and months later programmer using playmaker.

after this challenge, i reallized that i can program with my little skills and do more than people who don't , just with playmaker(thanks HutongGames).
All Animations are made using Akeytsu (Thanks Nukeygara), and modelling is a mix of ZBrush, 3dsmax and 3DCoat(Thanks to all !! )

so i decided to work on my own projects, and there was a lot already small for fun, training and passion, started but never finished. And by talking and playing with my daughters, they given to me the idea of Ketch'Up and May'O !

2 Aliens, are going to crash on a planet a lose thiere friend, the princess white soz, kidnapped by the evil mout'Hard !!

technically, i would like to push the game in that way:
  • procedurally generated levels
  • funny bonuses
  • strange monster foods
  • cool characters pnj for extra stories
  • simple and intuitive gameplay

the first alpha demo, is more a test to get returns from players about the performances on machines.
And the game can be played only on the first level to introduce characters and gameplay.

The game is automatically translated to system language, but actually not finished, so if you don't have a french or english computer, you'll have no text.

This problem will be arranged soon by putting english as base language for untranslated languages, and will evolve with time.

The next releases will allow players to start playing with the bonuses, and so on, future release will really start becomming the full game !

Enjoy the game, and give me feedbacks if you find something weird or disturbing to you ;)

blackant

• blackantmaster.com
Re: Ketch'Up & May'O
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 12:29:33 PM »
Version Alpha 0.0.0014 is now online !
 :)

PolyMad

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 01:58:55 PM »
Hi.
I've given a look to it and I must say the graphics isn't bad overall.
There's a lot of work in it.
Didn't try the game.
However, I have a suggestion for you: you need to polish lights and shadows, because as they are now they are not really appealing.
Check this screen in example: https://img.itch.zone/aW1hZ2UvNTk0MDA2LzMxNDI4MjAuanBn/original/Dh5W6Z.jpg
While the shadow on the grass is acceptable, the shadow on Mayo is not. At all.
It's black.
You probably want something more appealing, colored, less heavy for the eye.
Graphics is very important when it comes to selling: you need to appeal the eye. A lot.

Now one question: how did you get this game idea?
Was it something out of inspiration or was it something like "What the hell am I gonna do? Maybe some food hunting down here and there? That could do?"
Is the game targeted to children?

blackant

• blackantmaster.com
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 06:31:59 PM »
hi megmaltese,
the screenshot is a very old one, lightings have been completly reworked since and really better in the game.

i am a bit to much attached to the old images, but i konw should remove them... just a question of time.
actually it looks more like that:

the game is inspired by  the celebre "Toe Jam and earl", witch i played with my daughters on my megadrive.
they liked it, but they never retained the names of the characters. so we named them ketchup and mayo for the colors, and bam, thereis the true story about the title of this game.
after this first idea, i had to think, about the gameplay, in this age, because, remaking a game like it was  20 years ago is not as fun as it could be today, with more knowlegde, and my creativity.

so i decided to mix 2 titles rules:
  • toe jam & earl, for the quest of finding back all pieces of the ship
  • mario, with the simple principe of delivering the friend, kidnapped by an evil mind
After that i decided to check if the concept was possible to do with actual technologies, and unity and i made a serie of tests.
and the time has come to improve the main line of the concept, by adding more content and complexity to the game play and the story.

and here we go, we have the concept of Ketch'up & May'O, lost on a strange planet, searching for broken parts of there ship, who needs to be repared, to leave the planet, and of course they wont leave before they delivered the princess.

so between the first and the last level, you will meet, habitant of the planet spy-C.
fight bosses, discover hidden worlds, and get some quests from habitants.

and because the characters are clearly not heroes, with big muscles and trained brain, they will have bonuses, to help them in there tasks, or just for the player, so he can have fun :) .
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 06:43:08 PM by blackant »

blackant

• blackantmaster.com
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 08:36:50 AM »
New update is available on indiedb !