playMaker

Author Topic: Will Unity 2022LTS be the end of the line for PM?  (Read 690 times)

mrminico

Will Unity 2022LTS be the end of the line for PM?
« on: June 29, 2023, 05:08:54 AM »
back in 2019 I remember someone asking if playmaker would be integrated with DOTS and that conversation wasn't looking too hopeful.

Got around to downloading 2022LTS and trying out playmaker and I was glad to see everything still worked although I also noticed some inconsistent hiccups. Not sure if it was of Unity 2022LTS new systems not playing well with PM?

If anyone can shed light on the future of playmaker please let me know. I use it a lot and would hate to see it go. I'd even pay another 70$ for Playmaker 2

« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 05:42:25 AM by mrminico »

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Will Unity 2022LTS be the end of the line for PM?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2023, 06:18:35 AM »
Hi.
Playmaker and DOTS are completely different :)

There are indeed known issues with 2022 and Alex is working on fixes.

I also know that he is working on a PlayMaker 2 but there is no Eta yet.

mrminico

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2023, 12:34:51 PM »
Hi djaydino,

I'm aware DOTS is different in the sense of it being a combination of tech to deliver a different coding approach in unity, Hence why I was concerned that PM code may become deprecated in the near future? but I'm super glad to hear Alex working on PM2.

I think it would make much more sense at this point to just make a PM2. He could take the current version and update that one / change things around tailored to the new approach of coding in Unity. The base minimum engine for PM2 would be 2022.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 12:56:04 PM by mrminico »

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2023, 11:10:56 AM »
Hi.
I have no idea yet what the plan is nor how far the pm2 version is or will be :)

But probably one of the main targets will be better performance in editor (which already has been improved compared to pm1.8- versions)

and backward compatibility.

Personally I would not mind if PM2 would not be backward compatibility, if it would be necessary to have greater improvements which would not be possible due to backward compatibility.

But I think many would still want to have backward compatibility
(maybe optional disable certain parts when updating a previous version project vs a new project)

Im not sure if 1.9.7 already supports 'enter play mode settings' (pre 1.9.7, there are known breaking issues with it)
But that would also be a mandatory, as when your project get bigger 'enter play mode settings' will speed up developing a lot.