playMaker

Author Topic: uLink add on?  (Read 6238 times)

yunspace

• Playmaker Newbie
uLink add on?
« on: September 03, 2012, 09:15:41 PM »
Hi, not sure if this is the right place but could I please request an add-on for uLink Networking, similar to the add-on for Photon Networking. If it's not already in the Hutong road map.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: uLink add on?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 03:36:23 AM »
hi,

do you have experience in using ulink? by that I mean do you have a game or an application that is already live, with a ulink server etc etc? I am not affiliated with photon or playmaker, but I know that photon cloud offer is amazing, first it's free... second, no server side needed at all, it just works. And I haven't found a similar offer with ulink, I might be wrong tho.

So unless you have precise requirements outside the scope of photon cloud ( like MMO mainly) then yes you'll need to handle the server side, but then the level of expertize you will need to reach in order to create your game or application is well above the skills required to port ulink or photon to playmaker.

so, could you share your general idea and use case of ulink? this will then be easier to guide you, and why not consider ulink ( at least for me to create a playmaker port I mean).

Bye,

Jean

yunspace

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 08:37:46 AM »
Hi Jean,

I've don't have any games live at the moment, but I have played around with both Photon and Ulink. So here is what I know based on my limited understanding:

Photon Cloud is basically a player sync and doesn't cater for authoritative server needs (i.e. anti cheating etc). To build a authoritative server in Photon, you will need to write your own code using the Server SDK. Where as with uLink everything is done inside the Unity editor, ie. your scene is your server. uLink aware of all Unity game logic, physics, geometry, and collisions. The network setup can be made authoritative simply by ticking a box.

uLink also offers a out of box persistence solutions called uGameDB, where as you will need to write your own with Photon.

I think you might be right about the level of expertise required to might exceed the effort required to do a playmaker port. I will do a bit more investigation and verify

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 09:36:47 AM »
Hi,

Uhm, I need to look closely at this ulink system it seems.

bye,

Jean

flekoun

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 09:33:39 AM »
So where did you get after 2 years jeanfabre? uLink is only true choice for serious networking in Unity. Photon is joke, useful maybe for Tetris. No server side Unity = "rofl". uLink Networking is nearly identical with Unity networking but offer much more. You can even automatically convert your Unity Networking game into uLink. It uses same Network views, RPC calls and state sync as Unity networking.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 02:59:04 PM »
Hi,

I am currently very active on uLink/PlayMaker with an 100% physics based autoritative server ran with PlayMaker/ULink!  :o

If you want to have access to the current set of features, pm me. The main missing bit is fsm variables synchronization, but rpc, and general server/client handling is all there.

Photon is not a joke, far from it. On what bases are you saying this? their cloud system is amazing and is only a service they provide on top of their own server solution you can get, and it works indeed very well ( given all the trouble one can have to run a dedicated server). And they too adhere very closely to Unity networking paradigm, and also have porting wizards.

Bye,

Jean

flekoun

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 03:44:56 PM »
Hi,

I am currently very active on uLink/PlayMaker with an 100% physics based autoritative server ran with PlayMaker/ULink!  :o

If you want to have access to the current set of features, pm me. The main missing bit is fsm variables synchronization, but rpc, and general server/client handling is all there.

Photon is not a joke, far from it. On what bases are you saying this? their cloud system is amazing and is only a service they provide on top of their own server solution you can get, and it works indeed very well ( given all the trouble one can have to run a dedicated server). And they too adhere very closely to Unity networking paradigm, and also have porting wizards.

Bye,

Jean

Jaean, to be hones I never tried Photon because it is not possible to build authoritative servers on it in Unity. That means no go for anyone who don't want cheating in his games. Anyway I am glad to hear you get into uLink! Thats great! Keep good work going!

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 04:21:20 PM »
Hi,

Just for the record, it is totally possible to use Photon for autoritative servers, it's not Photon Cloud, it's a specific version of it, which should work with all the custom actions provided with Photon Cloud, only that you will point to your server instead of the cloud.

Cheating can be prevented in may ways, and certainly, you have options to secure your game before having to ditch completly a cloud based networking system.

I'll be interested in hearing what can of cheating you want to prevent, and see how we can overcome them gracefully ( or not)

Bye,

Jean

Azaphrael

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 04:28:30 AM »
I'd second the interest in uLink support.

And what you mean is Photon Server, which indeed makes it possible to have authorative Servers with Photon (does Photon Cloud even still exist?). But I haven't looked into it enough to say which solution is better. So far it seems Photon is more expensive with a monthly fee (additional to the server costs you might have) as opposed to the one time license of uLink.