playMaker

Author Topic: Massive performance hit...  (Read 3982 times)

curb47

Massive performance hit...
« on: July 22, 2020, 02:04:20 PM »
Hello,

Okay, this is real noob stuff here...

So, yesterday I experimented with changing the build platform to Android, to see if i could get my game on my phone.

A friend of mine who works in game dev recommended getting a WIP version on the phone/Android asap to see how it runs.

When i changed the platform, Unity went through a process of re-importing all the assets (?), and finally when that was done, i hit the play button in Unity.

My god. The game could barely play! Even though it was still on my beefy mac! I didn't even get as far building it for the phone.

What's the deal here?

I understand things need to be optimised for phones, but why did the game grind to a halt (1 frame per second) whilst still on my computer?

The game is fairly simple. It does have a lot of stuff in it, but it's not over blown by any means.

Are the standard optimization techniques that can be done with playmaker? Like, only creating objects when they're in the scene? Anything?

Thanks.

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Massive performance hit...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 05:50:22 AM »
Hi.
I have no idea why it got so slow on your computer, but it does not mean it will be slow in a build.

in editor its always slower that in a build as it has to run within the editor, so the editor has to do stuff to make it run.

normally changing platform should not make a lot of difference when playing in editor

curb47

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 03:46:38 AM »
Hi Dino,
Mmm. Okay, I'll investigate and get back to you.

Thanks.

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 02:14:21 PM »
When i changed the platform, Unity went through a process of re-importing all the assets (?)

It's normal and necessary but super annoying.
https://gist.github.com/waldobronchart/b3cb789c028c199e2855
or
https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/turbo-switch-pro-60040?aid=1011lNGT&utm_source=aff

My god. The game could barely play! Even though it was still on my beefy mac! I didn't even get as far building it for the phone.

What's the deal here?

I understand things need to be optimised for phones, but why did the game grind to a halt (1 frame per second) whilst still on my computer?

The game is fairly simple. It does have a lot of stuff in it, but it's not over blown by any means.

Are the standard optimization techniques that can be done with playmaker? Like, only creating objects when they're in the scene? Anything?

Thanks.

Have you restarted Unity?
Also, do a quick save of the project folder and then delete Library, Unity will then naturally recreate it. There might be config files that screw up with it.
Check also the graphics settings for Android (be sure to have them at low to mid low for a quick and dirty test) and also see into resources compression as the values are not the same across all platforms.