playMaker

Author Topic: Massive performance hit...  (Read 219 times)

curb47

  • Junior Playmaker
  • **
  • Posts: 64
    • View Profile
Massive performance hit...
« on: July 22, 2020, 11:04:20 AM »
Hello,

Okay, this is real noob stuff here...

So, yesterday I experimented with changing the build platform to Android, to see if i could get my game on my phone.

A friend of mine who works in game dev recommended getting a WIP version on the phone/Android asap to see how it runs.

When i changed the platform, Unity went through a process of re-importing all the assets (?), and finally when that was done, i hit the play button in Unity.

My god. The game could barely play! Even though it was still on my beefy mac! I didn't even get as far building it for the phone.

What's the deal here?

I understand things need to be optimised for phones, but why did the game grind to a halt (1 frame per second) whilst still on my computer?

The game is fairly simple. It does have a lot of stuff in it, but it's not over blown by any means.

Are the standard optimization techniques that can be done with playmaker? Like, only creating objects when they're in the scene? Anything?

Thanks.


djaydino

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5192
    • View Profile
    • jinxtergames
Re: Massive performance hit...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 02:50:22 AM »
Hi.
I have no idea why it got so slow on your computer, but it does not mean it will be slow in a build.

in editor its always slower that in a build as it has to run within the editor, so the editor has to do stuff to make it run.

normally changing platform should not make a lot of difference when playing in editor

curb47

  • Junior Playmaker
  • **
  • Posts: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Massive performance hit...
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 12:46:38 AM »
Hi Dino,
Mmm. Okay, I'll investigate and get back to you.

Thanks.