playMaker

Author Topic: Dash System Issue [SOLVED]  (Read 1102 times)

SK_Brook

• Playmaker Newbie
Dash System Issue [SOLVED]
« on: September 22, 2020, 12:13:07 AM »
I just recently got PlayMaker and I've been messing around with it for a couple of days to get the hang of it. I've managed to get Basic Movement and Shooting down, however I wanted to try and create a Dash Ability by myself, I managed to get it working but it has one major issue (I'm having a bit of trouble describing this, so bear with me)

The problem being that whenever I use the Dash to move, it simply doesn't rotate with my character. So because I made two very simple Movement FSMs; one for my main Camera using Mouse Look and another applied to my Player model to actually move my character using WASD, I thought the issue was that I simply needed to make sure rotating my camera rotated my player model which I have no idea how to do, so I instead made an empty 3D Object and set it as a Child for my Camera and tried remedying my issue by using Get Axis Vector and setting it relative of the Camera Child which I named "DashGuide", however it still simply doesn't work and I've been trying fruitlessly (and shamefully) for hours trying to find out what's wrong. Is there something I'm missing here?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 04:37:23 PM by SK_Brook »

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Dash System Issue
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 12:17:33 PM »
Hi.
Not sure if i understand correct. but on dash you want to rotate the camera to the dash direction.
Is that correct?

if the player rotates correct maybe you could set a empty object as a child on the player.

Then when you do the dash, disable mouse look and do a 'look at' or 'smooth look at'
and when dash is done enable mouse look again.

I did not test this btw, so not 100% sure if this works :)

SK_Brook

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 01:38:01 PM »
Hi.
Not sure if i understand correct. but on dash you want to rotate the camera to the dash direction.
Is that correct?

Well no, actually; what happens is that when I use the Dash, it doesn't actually take the rotation of the player into account. So if I were to turn the camera 90 degrees and dash to the right, it would move, but to the right of the player's ORIGINAL position and wouldn't take the rotation of the player into account

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 01:54:22 PM »
Hi.
If you use add force or set velocity, do you have space set to 'Self'
You might need to adjust your character mesh to face the correct direction.

SK_Brook

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 02:30:56 PM »
If you use add force or set velocity, do you have space set to 'Self'
You might need to adjust your character mesh to face the correct direction.
Oh, I haven't messed around with any of that at all so far because I'm just starting out to try and get the basics down, I just tried both of these actions and all they do is spin my character around for some reason, I've been getting the character to move with Dashing simply by using the Translate action

SK_Brook

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 04:36:33 PM »
Okay, I solved it; apparently it had nothing to do with the actual commands but my Character Controller because I had to completely change how it was set up in order to get it working.

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Dash System Issue [SOLVED]
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 05:15:33 AM »
Hi.
Careful with translate as it might ignore physics and you could dash thru a wall :)