playMaker

Author Topic: Sudden Errors From Opening PM During Game Testing  (Read 1287 times)

rondmc

• Playmaker Newbie
Sudden Errors From Opening PM During Game Testing
« on: December 09, 2020, 11:43:26 PM »
Hi there.

I suddenly started getting errors whenever I'd open certain FSMs in the PlayMaker editor during game testing (first pic). This happened shortly after editing an FSM attached to a Prefab in a scene and either hitting Revert or Apply inside the PlayMaker editor (I can't remember which, but I think it was Revert). These errors wouldn't appear before I did that.

I thought it might have something to do with Global variables as another thread here said that copy/pasting actions with them can cause errors but the same thing will happen when I open an FSM that doesn't have globals (second pic) and it's also an FSM I haven't edited in some time.

The errors do not appear when opening the FSM while the game isn't testing.

Does anyone have an idea how I can go about debugging these?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 09:47:30 AM by rondmc »

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Sudden Errors From Opening PM During Game Testing
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 07:30:06 AM »
Hi.
What unity / playmaker version are you using? (For the exact Playmaker version go to : PlayMaker/Help/About PlayMaker...)

Do you have any array actions in the prefab?

Does the errors persists after restarting unity?

rondmc

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 09:12:22 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply.

Unity: 2020.1.14f1
PlayMaker: 1.9.0.p20

There are no array actions or variables on the first FSM I tested, although they are present in the second one.

I did some more testing and the error is definitely linked to it being on a prefab.

First thing I tried was creating an empty object and duplicating the problem FSM onto it. When opening the FSM during play testing the same error would pop up. However, after stopping testing and trying it again, the error wouldn't reappear. So it looks like the error fixes itself on a non prefab but persists on prefabs for some reason.

I tried unpacking a problem prefab and doing the same thing above on it and same results. I turned it back into a prefab and no errors.

Unfortunately, this means I'll have to do the same thing for every prefab showing the error if I want to get rid of it. This would also mean that anything calling to those prefabs would break as I'd have to rebuild them and find every instance calling to them and relink them.

I'm wondering if a reinstall of PlayMaker would fix the error at once or what could be causing it. The only connection between the prefabs showing the error that I could find was that they all had a Get Event Info action on them but that also might not be the issue as I would delete the action from the FSM and the error would still show.

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 12:12:37 PM »
Hi.
Reinstalling would not fix probably.

What you could try is make a new fsm on the prefab, then copy all the states from the broken one and paste in the new fsm.

Then remove the old fsm and rename the new fsm with the name from the old one.

Before you do make a backup of your project.

Also try using version control, like github so you can revert if something happens or if you want to test something.

rondmc

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 11:06:57 PM »
Thank djaydino, your trick to copy/paste the states ended up working!

I still wonder what caused those bugs in the first place or what the errors were referencing.