playMaker

Author Topic: Help with Implementing new game Mechanic  (Read 980 times)

misterjuly

Help with Implementing new game Mechanic
« on: January 14, 2021, 01:49:14 PM »
Hello,

I need to implement a game mechanic, but I'm not sure where to begin. I need my character to collect an item, but each time he collects it, he jumps slightly higher. So at the beginning of the game, my character can barely jump, but by the end of the game, he is a jumping machine. Some guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!

curb47

Re: Help with Implementing new game Mechanic
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 02:56:09 PM »
2d or 3d?

What system have you in currently in place for the jumping? Physics or Translate?

misterjuly

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 03:34:29 PM »
2d. But I have a slight problem I realized. My character will jump up super fast and then fall at a normal speed. I am using get button down, then add force 2d then collision 2d event. I assume this is physics based. How do I get my character to not jump up so quick (almost like he is teleporting). Also, I'd like to get my character to be able to jump different heights depending on how long you hold down the jump button (this will be crucial once I have the gameplay mechanic that I discussed in my first post). Sorry I have so many questions. Thanks!

misterjuly

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 01:54:43 PM »
Alright, so I figured out the original problem I posted about (ironically the hardest one to solve), but I still need help figuring out how to control the jump height depending on how long you hold down the jump button for and the super fast jumping up. Thanks in advance for your help!

misterjuly

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 01:50:32 PM »
Bump

heavygunner

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 02:10:55 PM »
Alright, so I figured out the original problem I posted about (ironically the hardest one to solve), but I still need help figuring out how to control the jump height depending on how long you hold down the jump button for and the super fast jumping up. Thanks in advance for your help!
Let's say, SPACE is for Jump

State 1 : Get Button Down - SPACE
State 2 : Action#1 - Start the Count up timer and save the time. (download custom action from Ecosystem)
Action#2 - Get Button Up - SPACE (When You release SPACE, it wil go to next state)
State 3 : Use Float Range Compare action (compare timer -  more time means, more jump) and set the jump height

This is just idea, implement it on ur own style