playMaker

Author Topic: Global variables window negatively affects Play mode performance (v1.9.1.f7)  (Read 1547 times)

Gua

• Beta Group
    • Andrii Vintsevych
Unity 2018.4.30
Playmaker v1.9.1.f7

When I've tried to play my game in Editor after playmaker update. I've noticed that I 've started to get constant hitches every second. After some experiments I've found a core of the issue. Those hitches happen when Global variables windows is present in Unity interface. I do use a lot of global variables, but in previous version of Playmaker, Global Windows didn't created constant hitches.

Here's demonstration of the issue.

Gua

• Beta Group
    • Andrii Vintsevych
Hm... I have been able to reproduce this issue with Globals closed. So globals might not be the core of the issue.

Gua

• Beta Group
    • Andrii Vintsevych
Something constantly triggers GuiView RepaintAll

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
Are you on mac or pc?

Gua

• Beta Group
    • Andrii Vintsevych

Gua

• Beta Group
    • Andrii Vintsevych
I do have a theory. I've loaded up very old version of my project. Profiled it. And GuiView RepaintAll is there and it take roughly same amount of ms.

In my current version my maximum FPS while playing in editor significantly improved. At least compared to that old version, so maybe that's why those spikes become much more noticeable.

Gua

• Beta Group
    • Andrii Vintsevych
Although from time to time. I get more significant spikes

Before playmaker update I've tested my project in editor a lot, cause I was preparing it for playtest. I also focused on optimization and I don't remember those spikes.

nuFF3

• Beta Group
  • Junior Playmaker
  • Are we even real?
    • One Month Studio
Sometimes you can chock it up to Unity just being iffy, or Unity Editor overhead causing fps issues.
Pretty sure it's just the norm at this point, and you should probably only do performance testing with an actual build rather than within the editor itself.

Gua

• Beta Group
    • Andrii Vintsevych
Sometimes you can chock it up to Unity just being iffy, or Unity Editor overhead causing fps issues.
Pretty sure it's just the norm at this point, and you should probably only do performance testing with an actual build rather than within the editor itself.
I do performance testing in build. I do bug/balance testing in editor, cause when something breaks I can immediately check what went wrong.

I did a lot of testing before Playmaker update and I haven't seen those noticeable hitches, freezes that's why there's some decent reason to believe that it's related to Playmaker. Especially considering that new Playmaker introduced noticeable freezes when I add new FSM to game object and do some other FSM related stuff, that weren't present in previous version of Playmaker.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 10:47:49 AM by Gua »