playMaker

Author Topic: Text game - interactive fiction - choose your own adventure  (Read 1273 times)

Peeter1978

• Playmaker Newbie
Text game - interactive fiction - choose your own adventure
« on: April 19, 2021, 11:34:56 AM »
Hi,
I would like to make a text game or an interactive fiction or choose your own adventure - or however it's possible to call this type of game - along the lines of 'Suzerain' or 'The Life and Suffering of sir Brante'. I think I more or less know how to handle Unity, I have also been busy learning Playmaker and done some microgames using both of them, yet I still don't know where should I start. I have also been totally unable to find tutorials regarding this type of games.
What interests me, are sort of the main principles of building stuff like that. How to order stuff, what kind of FSMs and FSM chains should I build, how should the game be divided into scenes etc. Are there any tutorials out there what I might have missed?  ???
Sincerely,
P.

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Text game - interactive fiction - choose your own adventure
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 07:28:04 AM »
Hi.
You could use an dialogue system like "Dialogue System for Unity"

or build your own system.

for your own system you probably wanna use some xml for your data.

and you can get Data Maker to read / convert it.

The tutorial below is for a multiple choice quiz but i think it can help you for building a dialogue system :

Peeter1978

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 02:35:34 PM »
Thank You! I'll check it out. Althoug, I have to say, I already looked up Twine and had the feeling this particular program would just overcomplicate things.

wetcircuit

• wetcircuit.com
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 03:41:52 PM »
Have a look at Ink:
https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/integration/ink-unity-integration-60055

Ink is the best story engine for text. Unity plugin, also has a standalone tool to write/test that exports to an html webpage.

Playmaker actions on Inkle's github, and a very active community on Discord.

Peeter1978

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 05:10:15 AM »
Gonna try it out, thank You!