playMaker

Author Topic: How to handle large volumes of static data in Playmaker?  (Read 684 times)

SuperFlyGames

• Playmaker Newbie
How to handle large volumes of static data in Playmaker?
« on: May 10, 2021, 02:46:15 PM »
Hi all,

I am currently working on a Football Manager-esqe game in Unity. I am using Playmaker for the first time so I am trying to wrap my head around somethings. So any information would be greatly appreciated.

1. What is the best way to handle large amounts of static data in Playmaker? For example, each team in my game has a certain number of players and each player has their own stats(Passing, shooting etc). Now these stats wont change, but they obviously need to be stored somewhere so they can be grabbed at different points in the game (Team stat pages, in matchs etc). So what is the best way of storing this data and retireving it? It is as simple as making an FSM for each team and storing each players stats inside the variables? Or is there a better way of doing it?

2. Does anyone have any experience on making an in game calendar system with Playmaker? Where each date can have certain events attached to it (Match fixtures, training days etc)?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dan 

wetcircuit

• wetcircuit.com
Re: How to handle large volumes of static data in Playmaker?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 10:29:09 AM »
 :( There are a ton of options.

If you are brand new to playmaker, start with arrays – they will be fundamental to building fsm to sort through your stats and data.

The ecosystem has Datamaker which is an expanded toolset that includes 'array list proxies' – it stores your data on a gameobject component and easy to read/edit in Unity inspector.

If you're looking to export the data (or update it externally) Datamaker has actions for XML, JSON, and CSV.

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 10:49:34 AM »
Hi.
xml for data works well but is slow.

in our game i have a lot of data in xmls and @ runtime i place them into hash tables for faster reference.

recently i started using scriptable objects and so far this works quite well.
downside is that you need to learn a bit 'coding' but its very well explained here :

https://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=20829.0

if you tend to go for xml here are some videos that can help :

SuperFlyGames

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 02:43:40 PM »
Thanks for the reply everyone. I will take a look at the Scriptable Objects method as it looks closest to what I am after.

Thanks!