playMaker

Author Topic: Any news on when 1.2 (or whatever you will call it) will arrive?  (Read 20465 times)

tobbeo

• 1.2 Beta
I'm very much looking forward to the garbage collecting being fixed as well as copying actions. I know there's a lot of other features that you've mentioned but I was wondering how many features are you going to implement before you release the next version? I don't need a date or anything, but are we talking 1 week, a few weeks, a month or, please no, a few months?

Copying actions is a feature I miss constantly! All the other features are important too, but that one is one that I miss all the time.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
Re: Any news on when 1.2 (or whatever you will call it) will arrive?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 07:30:07 PM »
A beta should be ready this week. We'll invite people to test it - you'll be on that list :)

I don't think global variables will make it into this release, but global event management is in, as well as copy/paste actions and some other workflow improvements, and bug fixes.

This is probably close to the final list for this update: https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W311

MaDDoX

• 1.2 Beta
    • FluidPlay Studios
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 10:37:18 PM »
A beta should be ready this week. We'll invite people to test it - you'll be on that list :)
Hands up! :D

I don't think global variables will make it into this release, but global event management is in
I guess I remember you mentioning global event management in the global variables thread, can you share a couple more details on how it's going to work? Just tonight I was taking to Sandro (my team's lead coder) and we were talking about global variables vs hierarchical (nested/sub) FSMs. From his point of view global variables are much more important, from my point of view H-FSMs is the most important new feature to have, by far. I guess you can imagine what the arguments in favor of each were, we've had that talk some times already heh.

So there you have it, Coder vs Designer perspectives :)

Great job with the list btw, looking forward to it!

PS.: How about changing the section name to "Future and Beta Releases" instead of "Playmaker 1.1"?
--
Breno "MaDDoX" Azevedo
@brenoazevedo

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 08:16:10 AM »
Yes!!!

Can't wait. You can count me in for a beta test if you need. My current project would really benefit from global events.

For me, global variables/events and sub fsm or hfsm are just equally very important ( actually mandatory for a robust, scalable system). Currently they are the biggest issue I have with playmaker.

-- that I can't maintain proper global events and variable without serious refactoring issues and nasty debug sessions and proper misses ( rename an event some other fsm where previously calling and watch your system quietly failing...  :(
-- that I can't build routines of common behavior and reuse them here and there. Instead I have to juggle, think too hard and do too much refactoring to achieve a nice and stable process flow. This is good in a way, cause I keep improving the flow and it's very rewarding to improve your "code" in such way, but this is hard work.

Also, when you think about it, the combination of global variable, events and sub/h fsm is a killer. I have for example in many places similar actions to move objects around, yet not similar enough to have one fsm or action managing them. Adjusting globally the speed of the system would be trivial with subfsm and global variables. currently, it's a big sigh every time I have to tackle such issue, and can't delay any further its implementation... We actually have also this problem in unity itself, not being to easily link ( like "binding" in flex ) variables together from various parts of your system.

bye,

Jean

BunnyOnFire

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 01:50:29 PM »
Hello there,

I didn't know exactly where to ask so I've jumped on this post, sorry for that :)

Is there a "demo" version of PlayMaker somewhere ? I can't find it !
I'm trying Antares Universe but I'm not fully satisfied and I would really want to test PlayMaker which seems really good.

Thanks

disturbing

• 1.2 Beta
  • Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 10:48:58 PM »
@Alex,

I didn't see this update that you assured would be in the next release:

https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?playmaker.1.213.1

Thanks in advance,

~DisTurBinG

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 06:04:16 PM »
Thanks for the reminder! It's in now. Templates are now found in any directory under assets.

yannalaplage

• 1.2 Beta
  • Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 03:53:54 PM »
Can I Beta-test it too ?
Cant wait to copy past actions!
yann.

giyomu

• 1.2 Beta
    • blog
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 10:03:34 PM »
How the 1.2 goes so far  ;D...now that i am addicted  :)

Nekoyoubi

• 1.2 Beta
  • Playmaker Newbie
  • I scribble syntax, paint pixels, carve faces, and
    • Nekoyoubi Games
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 02:21:16 PM »
Alex, where should 1.2 beta review/findings/suggestions go? Care to make a sticky for us or some such nonsense? I already have something I'd love to complain about, but only because I love you. ;)
- Lance @ Nekoyoubi Games (nekoyoubi.com)

MaDDoX

• 1.2 Beta
    • FluidPlay Studios
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 03:04:35 PM »
Alex, where should 1.2 beta review/findings/suggestions go? Care to make a sticky for us or some such nonsense? I already have something I'd love to complain about, but only because I love you. ;)
That's actually a good question, I guess we should create one after it reaches RC (release candidate) - most probably early next week, according to Alex. So far I'm simply e-mailing him directly my suggestions and bugs found :)
--
Breno "MaDDoX" Azevedo
@brenoazevedo

disturbing

• 1.2 Beta
  • Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 04:23:40 PM »
Great to see the beta is out (RC) or w.e. it is.

How's it going?  What's the release date looking like?

Also is there going to be an upgrade guide if any?

Neural Echo

• 1.2 Beta
  • Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 05:30:47 PM »
Bump.

Any word on how the 1.2 beta is coming along, and when it will be released?

Damian

• 1.2 Beta
    • Permaximum Betty
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 06:42:44 PM »
Well i was told it would be released right after Unity3D 3.4 was released.
It has, but not playmaker 1.2.
I hope it will soon or just make a public beta if there still problem with a final version.

Nekoyoubi

• 1.2 Beta
  • Playmaker Newbie
  • I scribble syntax, paint pixels, carve faces, and
    • Nekoyoubi Games
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 09:04:05 AM »
Neural Echo,

As for how the beta is going, very well from what I see. There are a lot of changes and they're all getting tested as thoroughly as possible to make sure that things roll out as smoothly as can be. As we've been told, things are looking well enough that we should look forward to a release candidate soon.

Damian,

Please keep in mind that requiring that Unity 3.4 be released is not the same as releasing right after. Hutong Games has many customers using PlayMaker (far more than the few that post here, I'm sure), and with a new version of Unity comes the potential for changes in the engine itself that could have blown up certain facets of PlayMaker. It would have been foolish of Hutong to have released PlayMaker 1.2 without having a full round of regression testing. They're getting it though. In every build there's been awesome progress. ;)
- Lance @ Nekoyoubi Games (nekoyoubi.com)