playMaker

Author Topic: Some Actions may not work after Build  (Read 981 times)

blackant

• http://blackantmaster.com
    • blackantmaster.com
Some Actions may not work after Build
« on: October 17, 2022, 08:46:21 AM »
Hi,

I make this post as feedback from my experience as publisher on steam.

I noticed that if everything is working fine while working on the Editor, or making a local build, some problems may appear once the build is sent to Steamworks, maybe because of some compiler parameters, I don't know, I used IL2CPP, because of a plugin I need in my project; but it's hard to know precisely where it's start splitting into "good code/bad code" after the build is outside my computer, especially because there are many APIs to do the same thing, with so many reasons to make a choice instead of another...

The main problem I encountered is the use of "Set property", which is not called
For example, if you plane to simply use "Set property > .active > True/false" to a GameObject, it will not be recognized. It's better to use the appropriate action "Activate GameObject".

I had the same bad experience using the "Set property" of a particle component, but also because its code was deprecated, but can still be fund inside the list of choices.
I had to code my own action to directly Set the right parameter, "emission.RateOverTime" instead of ".emissionRate".

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Some Actions may not work after Build
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 10:30:31 AM »
Hi.
Have you tried Linker Wizard

the main issue is that get/set properties is mirroring and during build unity does not know what was used (or something like that)

Linker Wizard should help out there

mrminico

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2022, 10:11:50 AM »
Yeah... I tend to stay away from set property as far as possible. I've always ran into issues when it came to that. I can confirm that its problematic, both for editor performance (for some odd reason) and final build. I either search for actions made, or try to make the actions myself.

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2022, 04:29:28 AM »
Hi.
If you need to make, (or let someone make) you should join Discord to get some help or maybe someone already made some actions for certain assets.