playMaker

Author Topic: Exodus Terminus  (Read 882 times)

BiggestLoooser

• Playmaker Newbie
Exodus Terminus
« on: September 14, 2023, 06:36:59 AM »
Dear Playmaker community and it's creators,

Due to what has happend in the last 24 hours, with Unity's unbelievable changes to it's licensing fee's(the "installs" per activation, for example, of WebGL meaning that we could be left with paying A LOT of money without earning ANYTHING). I will be finishing my last two projects and moving everything over to Godot or Unreal and continue with the help of AI assisted coding.

I am pretty sure that a lot of people are going to be doing the same.

So I ask the creators to
start working on porting a version of Playmaker to other engines or have to watch their userbase shrink considerably.

With new sales of the playmaker asset only viable for those that either have not read the new agreements or those that are a little too naive to understand what they in this form now.
REMEMBER! This agreement means that over 200.000 installs* YOU(!!!!) will HAVE TO PAY for ANY installs of your creation other than on your own machine.
SO EVEN IF you say, "hell, I don't make games for profit" you are going to be caught up in this regardless.

Even if there is a rollback...that this has even happend, shows the devide between  users and the people in Unity's managment.
It will only be a matter of time before something like this comes along.

Do yourself a favor. Port this!

As it stands, from Januar 1 2024, financially, this is a no-go plattform for small creators.

Kind regards to you all.
Please, EVERYONE, RAISE HELL @ UNITY!

This is a very sad moment.

*If you believe that 200.000 installs on demos for WEBgl or any other way over itch.io will "take forever" you have NO idea how wrong you are.

terri

• terrivellmann.tumblr.com
Re: Exodus Terminus
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2023, 08:27:28 AM »
Its terrible, but please note you also need to meet the revenue threshold.

LordHorusNL

• Beta Group
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2023, 11:01:41 AM »
People are overreacting, I don't think this was a particularly smart move by Unity but having said that it looks to me that most developers will actually benefit from this change.

Small developers will likely never reach the 200.000 Dollar and install cap per game and they way I understand it are in fact better off because now we don't need to update our subscription when approaching 100.000 in revenue like before.

Sure, bigger more successful developers will be paying more than they used to and will face uncertainty when it comes to how Unity is going to be gathering certain statistics about installs and such but I believe they will still be paying less compared to Unreal.

I'm looking at this from a PC perspective so can't say much about how mobile developers will be affected.

Still not a great way to treat customers.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 11:03:18 AM by LordHorusNL »

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2023, 05:05:23 PM »
Hi.
I also think that people are overreacting, but its good that they get heard by unity.

*If you believe that 200.000 installs on demos for WEBgl or any other way over itch.io will "take forever" you have NO idea how wrong you are.

I do have an idea about it, and Demo's are not counted

I have posted in this tread on our game (a small group of 3)
and we are still far from having to pay.

https://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=25749.msg110915#msg110915

BiggestLoooser

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2023, 06:53:10 AM »
I don't think this is overreaction at all. But only normal.
The very first statement released included piracy and repeated downloads as installs every time.

This is how upper managment put it out there.

Then, it was rolled back somewhat.
"Clarified"(aka ooops too much blowback).

The whole problem is the "We leverage our own proprietary data model" part where we have no clue how they are going to gather the information what install is what and when and how and where and why.
The status of the information that I got was that WEBgl play = 1 install.
How do you expect me to convey the "demo" information?
Write a letter to Unity HQ?
Send them a email, "by the way guys, just so you know this is a demo."

We do not know how the information is collected, when it is collected or how it is then read out.

So, when you get a invoice, you better be unwilling to challenge it. Because if you do (or have to), concerning the history of payments to be made towards a corporation whose managment includes very customer unfriendly(volitile) practices, I am guessing that this can be quite a anxious situation. Wether or not they just double down on the "pay up my friend" stance.