playMaker

Author Topic: Translate playmaker  (Read 18367 times)

Damian

• 1.2 Beta
    • Permaximum Betty
Translate playmaker
« on: November 19, 2012, 06:09:45 AM »
Me and some other do translate Playmaker to other language.
We are facing some issues. ::)
The problem we have is that some words that I feel never should be translated.
So far I can see those words bellow never should be translated.
Feel free to suggest more words you feel should always be on English.

-- GameObject
-- FSM
-- Gizmo
-- Float
-- Int
-- Vector3 Vector2
-- Child
[EDIT]
-- Frame ?
-- Log ?
-- Template ?
-- Assets  ( the project's folder) ?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 01:06:55 AM by jeanfabre »

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
Re: Translate playmaker
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 09:38:03 AM »
Maybe the rule of thumb should be if a term is part of the Unity or Playmaker API it should not be translated...?

Damian

• 1.2 Beta
    • Permaximum Betty
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 09:48:28 AM »
Maybe the rule of thumb should be if a term is part of the Unity or Playmaker API it should not be translated...?

I guess that, but I think we should make a standard that all use.
ex. both state and action is different in all language and those is used a lot in playmaker.
But I am not sure that is a good idea.
int, bool, float etc should not be translated, but that is very easy to understand that you should not translate.

My point whit this is to make a standard on how to translate, before more do it.
Then it would also be more easy for others to.

DARK_ETERNAL

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 10:06:17 AM »
Which languages, specifically?

FSM (Finite State Machine) in spanish would be MEF (Máquina de Estado Finito), but, as Chouls says, it's pointless to try to translate specific API terms. However, words like Int, Float, etc, are common for programmers, so they surely will know them, whichever be their native language. As for artists and such, it might be enough to translate each type description, instead of names?
Check out our new game: Nitro Chimp. Now live in App Store!

Trailer:
Download: https://itunes.apple.com/app/nitro-chimp/id557150450?l=en&mt=8

Damian

• 1.2 Beta
    • Permaximum Betty
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 10:27:21 AM »
Which languages, specifically?

FSM (Finite State Machine) in spanish would be MEF (Máquina de Estado Finito), but, as Chouls says, it's pointless to try to translate specific API terms. However, words like Int, Float, etc, are common for programmers, so they surely will know them, whichever be their native language. As for artists and such, it might be enough to translate each type description, instead of names?

I am translate playmaker to Swedish.

Yes I think its good to keep names like they are, but some stuff in playmaker is little harder to know if its a good way to translate them.
So my goal is to write them here in a list so there is more easy for other to.  :)

So shall we also translate "State", "Event" and "Action" ?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 10:41:42 AM by Damian »

Sjones

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 12:16:29 PM »
you could have both, translated and none, maybe in brackets next to it english such as the vector's, fsm etc

just my thoughts anyway.

Damian

• 1.2 Beta
    • Permaximum Betty
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 01:08:08 PM »
you could have both, translated and none, maybe in brackets next to it english such as the vector's, fsm etc

just my thoughts anyway.

One thing I think of is that the strings is not to big, compare to original.
Also I do not think that have both the original and the translated in the same string. It would mess up a lot.

In the past I did translate a program to. It had more then 100.000 sentence. I remember I did complain about the spelling etc when I did start to work for that company. After that I had to do all of it. Sometimes it is better not to say things. lol.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 02:01:18 AM »
Hi,

I think that in some context it could be a good thing actually, for example in tooltips. We would use the english common word and api names, and in the tool tip or help context we would bracket it with a proper translation.

bye,

Jean

Damian

• 1.2 Beta
    • Permaximum Betty
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 09:38:30 AM »
I did think about this stuff.
Would it not be nice to have a little dictionary with common words, with both the English and the translated word in it and explanation on what it is?
Could be in the dropdownlist for playmaker.
This way it would be easy for a person to get some help on stuff they are not sure what it is.
What do you think about that?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 11:11:17 AM »
Hi,

Good idea, and I think it would be also just as much needed for english users. It's there in the help, but a dedicate glossary to quickly refer to would be very good indeed.

This bring sme to a sensitive question: What about the online help translation?! sigh...

bye,

Jean

Damian

• 1.2 Beta
    • Permaximum Betty
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 12:47:59 PM »
Hi,

Good idea, and I think it would be also just as much needed for english users. It's there in the help, but a dedicate glossary to quickly refer to would be very good indeed.

This bring sme to a sensitive question: What about the online help translation?! sigh...

bye,

Jean

Yes I think it would be great. But its up to Alex how he wants it.

Online translation is good sometimes, but it suck when it comes to computer/programming stuff..
The problem is that it often translate wrong on very important words.

Ex.
English: Should the graph view auto frame selected states.
Swedish: Diagram visa auto bör ram utvalda stater.
Back to English: Charts show auto should frame selected states.

Trust me it look very weird in Swedish to. So it would not work. It is always better to translate yourself. :-)

Sjones

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 01:11:20 PM »
I am currently away from my computer so not sure if playmaker supports this but how about hovering tooltips, when you hover over something it shows the English, extended hover would give the description from the glossery, it should keep it condense so there's not a lot of info overloading the screen, and with the extended hover the user wouldn't need to go through menus to find extended information and is a quick and simple way to get the info to the user.

kiriri

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 01:45:22 PM »
my 2 cents:

IMO everything that could be written in English (international), should be. If I talk in one of my native languages to collegues I always use the English terms, no matter what.
The reason why is that while there are people who'd like to kick back and just use a program in their native language, noone would ever want to find himself with a problem and then not be able to get help because noone on the international forums would know what his weird back-to-english-translations mean.
Not to mention all the other unity resources which are in english... And potential international colaborations would also be hard to realise for those individuals who'd use the translated versions... and let's face it, every programmer, game artist and for that matter FSM maker will work internationally at one point or the other.
So all in all translating most nouns (other than those in the Tooltips) would probably only hurt the users in the long run.

That being said, I like the idea of the dictionary, it's a nice gradient introduction into the world of English :D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 01:48:39 PM by kiriri »
Best,
Sven

Damian

• 1.2 Beta
    • Permaximum Betty
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 01:47:29 PM »
I am currently away from my computer so not sure if playmaker supports this but how about hovering tooltips, when you hover over something it shows the English, extended hover would give the description from the glossery, it should keep it condense so there's not a lot of info overloading the screen, and with the extended hover the user wouldn't need to go through menus to find extended information and is a quick and simple way to get the info to the user.

Well that is part true. But it also means that you need to add the action before you know what it is.
But "hover" aka "Tool tip" do work now, so I do not see the problem with it.
My thought with a dedicate glossary it would be a great help to look at when you seek stuff. Also you sould get more information about everything. That would be hard to do with "tool tip".
Also you could even do it a lot more advanced and even add custom FSM direct to an gameobject.
but but..

Damian

• 1.2 Beta
    • Permaximum Betty
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 01:54:49 PM »
my 2 cents:

IMO everything that could be written in English (international), should be. If I talk in one of my native languages to collegues I always use the English terms, no matter what.
The reason why is that while there are people who'd like to kick back and just use a program in their native language, noone would ever want to find himself with a problem and then not be able to get help because noone on the international forums would know what his weird back-to-english-translations mean.
Not to mention all the other unity resources which are in english... And potential international colaborations would also be hard to realise for those individuals who'd use the translated versions... and let's face it, every programmer, game artist and for that matter FSM maker will work internationally at one point or the other.
So all in all translating most nouns (other than those in the Tooltips) would probably only hurt the users in the long run.

That being said, I like the idea of the dictionary, it's a nice gradient introduction into the world of English :D

I do agree with you. I always use English software and write/read on English. So to translate to Swedish I just do for fun and maybe we will see stuff we never did think of before. I think this is one of the strength we have here, that all want to make Playmaker better for all.
But I know some people do like it on there native language and this can be a problem with some words that they do use, but its not the English word.
This was why I start this tread also. To make the translation as good we can and also to do it the same way.