playMaker

Author Topic: 03 - Triggers tutorial question[SOLVED]  (Read 3395 times)

part12studios

• Playmaker Newbie
03 - Triggers tutorial question[SOLVED]
« on: January 09, 2013, 03:28:24 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm new to Playmaker and I'm loving these tutorials, but i hit a snag on this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BYwkd80T5Zk  

In it he explains the trigger setups which makes perfect sense and i'm pretty sure it works, but it seems like he already has a movable object setup at the start of the tutorial so he just goes in and starts moving an object in - out of the trigger.. problem is i don't know how to set up an object to do just that..  to make the sphere move around.  

Thanks!
Caleb
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 01:58:02 PM by jeanfabre »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: 03 - Triggers tutorial question
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 03:34:51 PM »
Hi,

you have several options:

-- you move the object using actions such as "translate"
-- you move object using the physics engine of Unity itself ( applying force, or simply have it react to its environment
-- move object using tween libraries ( that automate the movement over a period of time from point a to point b)

bye,

Jean

part12studios

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 05:22:18 PM »
Thanks jeanfabre.  Those sound like some great options, but how do any of those work?  How did anyone else complete this tutorial without some advanced knowledge.  These videos seem so clear cut, but this is a surprising oversight.  Or a big oversight on my part but i've been over this several times and can't seem to find it.  I've emailed Christopher as well hoping he might be able to shed some light on it.

how do a bind a specific key press to make an action happen with playmaker?  I think I understand the basic state machine enough to make something move, but when i use "get key" which seems promising..  it ws store result which id on't know what to do there.  is that a variable?  the tutorials haven't gotten that far and when i make a bool variable, it's not seeing it so that's probably wrong. 

i did manage to get itween to move through it.. but now i can't be sure if i did it right because i've deviated from the tutorial. 

Do triggers listen for anything that goes through them or is there some kind of condition of object..  the tutorial didn't seem to talk about grouping things.  It sounds like if anything enters the trigger the event is triggered.. i tried grouping the ball to "player"

and yet when my sphere passes through the hitbox (box collider is checked "is trigger") nothing is happening. 

Thanks,
Caleb

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 03:12:00 AM »
Hi,

I would suggest you watch all the tutorials you can and sceencast, it will start to make sense. Your issue here as well, is that you are learning Unity too isn't it? so you have twice the amount of information to learn. For example to properly set up physics object to fire trigger events, one of them must have a physics component, else it will not work. It's full of little things like that, that you will learn as you go and experiment.

Even if you don't know how to script, I suggest you properly refer to the Unity Help documentation and abosrb as much as a you can ( at least to know where to find back the info a particualr feature). I personally always have the unity help open on my browser. I can't do without it...

bye,

Jean

part12studios

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 12:05:13 PM »
Hi Jean,

Thanks for the perspective.  I'll take your advice! :)  I'll forge ahead with the videos and yea perhaps things will link up later.. i was just really concerned that i might get lost if i neglected this understanding and make future tutorials even more confusing because i didn't fully comprehend.  I just hate to push through like that if i can avoid it, but in this case i'll forge ahead :) 

Thanks,
Caleb

part12studios

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: 03 - Triggers tutorial question (Solved)
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 01:47:27 PM »
Also, I did figure out the problem.  Maybe it was mentioned somewhere in a previous tutorial but I had made my project only import playmaker assets and scripts.  i had left out "Character Controller" which is where Christopher got the FPS controller object to use.  So I'm all set on this one now to go back and do the tutorial again with all of the proper pieces.  Jean, thanks again for offering your input on this! 

Thanks,
Caleb

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 01:57:45 PM »
hi,

I am glad you sort it out yourself! this is good.

bye,

Jean