playMaker

Author Topic: putting an fsm into a holding pattern[SOLVED]  (Read 2104 times)

mikejkelley

putting an fsm into a holding pattern[SOLVED]
« on: January 26, 2013, 06:48:35 PM »
I have two fsms. When A runs, I want B to go into a holding pattern. I tried accomplishing this by broadcasting start and stop events from A, but when A broadcasts, everything winds up hanging.

ie, I have a dino that I want to always face the camera unless there's food in the scene. Then I want that to take precedence and I want him to go after the food.

FSM A determines that there's food and has a state "announceTheresFood" w/ a broadcast event all "goToTheresFood". "goToTheresFood" is a global transition in FSM B that leads to a "theresFood" state that has a "FINISHED" transition that points back to itself. The idea is I don't want the face camera component of FSM B running while FSM A is trying to get food. The assumption is that FSM A would continue to execute but it never actually transistions from "announceTheresFood" thru "goToGetAngleToFood."

I know the ans. is prolly obvious and noobish but I'm exhausted. Thnx in advance!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 01:31:50 AM by jeanfabre »

Ticked_Off_Pixel

• Playmaker Newbie
    • http://happystar-adventures.tumblr.com/
Re: putting an fsm into a holding pattern
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 07:35:35 PM »
I didn't quite understand what's the problem, but usually when I get problems with parallel FSM, I solve it by creating a 3rd FSM to manage the other 2.

Basically, you can get an FSM C, with only 2 states, to enable FSM A or FSM B depending on only one condition.

FSM C
If there's food: Enable B, Disable A.
Food's gone: Enable A, Disable B.

FSM A and B: when active, do stuff ans broadcast to C when finished.

Sorry, if this isn't what you needed.

mikejkelley

Re: putting an fsm into a holding pattern
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 07:37:19 PM »
Cool, it sounds like that will do just the trick! Thanks!  :)

// It worked! I also had to add a "wait" action after the "send event" in order to specify a transition. Otherwise it continued to hang. I'd assumed it would've just rolled on thru but no. Now I need to address why my anims aren't playing... anyways, thanks again!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 08:09:36 PM by mikejkelley »