playMaker

Author Topic: Which learn 1st Playmaker or 2d toolkit?  (Read 2810 times)

jgalvezpa

• Junior Playmaker
Which learn 1st Playmaker or 2d toolkit?
« on: February 13, 2013, 11:13:05 AM »
Hello i want to create 2d games in unity, i want to know what i need to learn 1st playmaker or 2dtoolkit?

kiriri

Re: Which learn 1st Playmaker or 2d toolkit?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 11:52:46 AM »
If you're already familiar with Unity itself, it's probably better to start with 2dtk. Just have a look at what it does, how to use the components, how to create a fitting atlas pipeline etc. This should only take a few hours and you should probably not do any of the coding tutorials, though simply watching them can never hurt. After you know the limits and purposes of 2dtk you can use PlayMaker to see how to actually use it. By then, most action names should be self explanatory, so you'll face less of a learning curve. However, if you are new to programming or Unity, then be prepared to spend weeks picking up PlayMaker. It is hard to teach the logic required to use it and while it is most certainly easier to pick up than programming, it's no walk in the park either.

This is my personal opinion, maybe there are some arguments against starting this way, I don't know. I hope it helps anyways ;)
Best,
Sven

Uttpd

• Junior Playmaker
Re: Which learn 1st Playmaker or 2d toolkit?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 06:53:31 AM »
I have gone this rout myself so go for Kiri advice.
Just get some sprites on the screen, if you already know Unity you will get familiar with the 2Dtk workflow in no time.
Then fire playmaker and follow the videos. Grab the 2dtk actions and Before you know it something will be happening on screen.
The best part of this combo is that you get "rewarded" real fast. So get to it

PS: Never watched/ used any coding with 2Dtk. So I guess you can skip to, donĀ“t let (;=c#*%#! get in your way, you can always pick up code later after playmaker teaches you the basics..