playMaker

Author Topic: Character status in RPG game  (Read 5429 times)

electisss

• Playmaker Newbie
Character status in RPG game
« on: March 12, 2013, 04:32:20 AM »
Is there any tutorials or any advise to use playmaker to do a character status when level up

thanks

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
Re: Character status in RPG game
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 07:06:31 AM »
You'll need to be more specific than that.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

electisss

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 11:51:56 AM »
You'll need to be more specific than that.

thanks for reply

like a Rangnarok game, when we created a character we must put a point for a specific status we want (str,con,agi,luck,dex) and when character level up there are some point to put for a specific status

Red

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 12:21:18 PM »
Well, I've got a basic system like that in my own game... granted, it doesn't use stats like "strength, dexterity, etc" but just basic "skill points."

How i do it is i have a FSM that controls the XP systems... Now, there are ways you can code this to be more algorithmic but I have it run a test whenever the XP has changed (I use an int, so the "int changed" is the action i use to fire off.)

Then i go to a check system... it checks the value of the XP and if there is enough, it does the "level up"

in the "Level up" set of actions, i just tell it to add in X to another int called "available skill points" (i know i should probably call it something else... and use the tooltip for that bit.)

Now, in another system (i usually use the GUI system) i have a set of buttons in one state that controls where those skill points are spent. when the user spends a point, it fetches the value, deducts one from it and returns the new balance of skill points to the system that's holding that value. from there, the set of states that use the skill points can be set up for whatever you need it to do. so, if you want to do the traditional RPG system of Str/dex/int/sta/etc... then you can set up a button in the character sheet system if you have one to add one point to each.

I guess it depends on how you want to have it set up... but a basic skill point management system isn't the toughest (but it's not the simplest either... as with everything, there is no "do it, and make it awesome" button. ;) )

Red

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 12:45:33 PM »

So, this is how i'd tell it to update the system... how you would spend the points and what systems you'd affect with them would be different depending on your uses and the "adjust threshold" would be a very simple way of increasing the next XP level threshold but using a basic multiply-by-2 would give the player an exponential curve so the number of experience points they'd need to reach the next level would quickly become astronomical so, in a sense you could set up a basic system that checks either a table (using Array-maker) or make your own set of variables such as "threshold for level 1", "threshold for level 2", etc... that would make your job of setting it up a little more tricky since everything would be hard-coded in. I only used the multiply system to give a very basic system (since the system i am using is quite convoluted and beastly right now i'm not very comfortable showing it since it is essentially "spaghetti code" right now.)

One thing to mention... if you use a basic multiplier for the next threshold, make sure that you set the XPthreshold to at least a 1... if you multiply with 0, if you remember math class, you'll always get 0 so essentially, that would break your game's difficulty.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 12:48:15 PM by Red »

electisss

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 01:04:59 PM »
Well, I've got a basic system like that in my own game... granted, it doesn't use stats like "strength, dexterity, etc" but just basic "skill points."

How i do it is i have a FSM that controls the XP systems... Now, there are ways you can code this to be more algorithmic but I have it run a test whenever the XP has changed (I use an int, so the "int changed" is the action i use to fire off.)

Then i go to a check system... it checks the value of the XP and if there is enough, it does the "level up"

in the "Level up" set of actions, i just tell it to add in X to another int called "available skill points" (i know i should probably call it something else... and use the tooltip for that bit.)

Now, in another system (i usually use the GUI system) i have a set of buttons in one state that controls where those skill points are spent. when the user spends a point, it fetches the value, deducts one from it and returns the new balance of skill points to the system that's holding that value. from there, the set of states that use the skill points can be set up for whatever you need it to do. so, if you want to do the traditional RPG system of Str/dex/int/sta/etc... then you can set up a button in the character sheet system if you have one to add one point to each.

I guess it depends on how you want to have it set up... but a basic skill point management system isn't the toughest (but it's not the simplest either... as with everything, there is no "do it, and make it awesome" button. ;) )

Thank for you super quick reply I will follow your advise  ;D