playMaker

Author Topic: How To Integrate EZGUI Elements Into PlayMaker  (Read 6012 times)

Psmith

• Playmaker Newbie
How To Integrate EZGUI Elements Into PlayMaker
« on: June 17, 2011, 01:50:17 PM »
Jean (or anyone):

You've pretty much sold me on using EZGUI for interface development, but I'm no coder and not even a programmer.  I don't see the big picture of how to totally compile an app using only PlayMaker and EZGUI.  In fact, I don't even know if it is possible, (without adding some kind of "glue together code").

Maybe you would be willing to do a short "step-by-step" outline of the process of integrating the elements created in EZGUI with those developed in PlayMaker?  And then, how to compile everything into a playable app/game/sample or whatever you'd like to call it.  Nothing complex - just the basic steps required.

I'm afraid I'm not alone in being so ignorant and unskilled - yet I can nearly see some light at the end of the tunnel.  I'd like to be able to help others that are in my position, too.

Psmith

artician

• 1.2 Beta
Re: How To Integrate EZGUI Elements Into PlayMaker
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 04:23:50 PM »
I second this!  ezGUI looks good, but I'm actually assessing if a project can be completed using only PlayMaker functions.  I'd love to have some actions that could utilize it.

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 03:10:33 PM »
Not sure what you are getting at? There are the custom actions that are on this forum that you can use to get the input from the EZ GUI buttons... I am using those.. I am also using playMaker for various things. I dont think it is meant to replace any scripting but it is very nice to work with. I have never used C# nor am i really a programmer or scripter but i have done some in the past. I was able to read the manuals and take the example script that was done by Jean and expand on it quite a bit.. i am willing to post my scripts if they are useful for someone. But a reals scripter would make a much better version of what i am using i expect. I am on my first project with Unity right now. I just made my first Panel with ez gui last night..

Can you itemize what you are looking to see done? What functions?

Q

Psmith

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 08:17:39 PM »
Really, what I am trying to determine is whether a game, (or something that is just "game-like"), can be produced using PlayMaker and EZGUI without the need to script anything.

You've just stated that you don't think that this is possible - but, perhaps you are incorrect.

Looking at all the available information on the EZGUI site seems to indicate that their product is meant to "help" with those scripting a game - not for those trying to avoid it - so, perhaps you are right about this.

Maybe one of the highly experienced users of both products could make a definitive statement regarding this.

Psmith

tobbeo

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 11:43:12 PM »

I am producing a game using playmaker only so it's definitely possible. I haven't looked at the custom actions for EZGui, but you don't have to use EZGui to make a GUI system. I've made one using Playmaker only. I would like to have custom actions where I can control EZGui completely without scripting but I don't know if enough custom actions have been created yet. For me personally, i am more hoping that someone will do Spritemanager custom actions. Or if that doesn't happen I'll try to make it happen myself.

But depending on the type of game you are making, you can most definitely create a game from start to finish with playmaker.

Really, what I am trying to determine is whether a game, (or something that is just "game-like"), can be produced using PlayMaker and EZGUI without the need to script anything.

You've just stated that you don't think that this is possible - but, perhaps you are incorrect.

Looking at all the available information on the EZGUI site seems to indicate that their product is meant to "help" with those scripting a game - not for those trying to avoid it - so, perhaps you are right about this.

Maybe one of the highly experienced users of both products could make a definitive statement regarding this.

Psmith

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 12:31:25 PM »
Hi,

It is possible indeed to build something with playmaker without scripting. With EZgui tho, not at all, you will need control it somehow (with playmaker or via script).

It really depends the internal complexity of what you are trying to achieve really. Anything above medium sized project will require scripting, be it playmaker custom actions. :)

The very odd thing is that playmaker allowed me to accept and build projects that otherwise would have been simply impossible to achieve in pur script, all that in a natural/understandable/manageable way. This is somewhat contradictory with what I want to say, because I would be very very cautious about the lack of scripting knowledge. You should really have a descent understanding of scripting and algorithm design, otherwise you will hit trouble.

I'd compare this with Engineering software: they are really really powerfull, but if you don't how mechanical parts works, how they physically behave under strength and all that, you won't be able to achieve a descent result, and might even end up with something that is not feasible; In game it would translate into an application that simple doesn't work, or is not stable, and doesn't meet the client requirements. Such powerful tool are only tools, you need the basics and the experience to achieve something descent with it.

I guess the bottom line is that you need to take the best option available to achieve the result. 99% of the time, playmaker will be that best option, but for that last percent that is so specific to your need, you will need to script it.

Bye,

Jean

Psmith

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 12:49:14 PM »
Jean:

My "game" goals are very modest and don't include a high level of "logic" - (since I can't even imagine such things to begin with).  I've never been a gamer - so I only have the sketchiest outline of what people are used to or what they will buy.  The things I wish to build will have to gain their appeal based on visuals and entertaining actions and reactions - which, I think, is where PlayMaker shines.

One of the top selling "games" of all times was Myst.  I actually enjoyed the very first in the series more than the latter ones.  Apparently the visuals and the storyline, the atmospherics and the music were enough to keep a large audience entertained and engaged - actually, for years on end.  Too bad the 2 brothers lost the franchise - or just gave it up.

Regarding GUI elements:  it seems to me that even though the PlayMaker built-in GUI stuff is quite basic, there must be a way to use state machines to include your own custom GUI "skins" or whatever they are called.  I have no idea how to do this, but maybe the technique will eventually dawn on me.  Any suggestions with regard to this would be greatly appreciated.

Psmith

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 01:28:30 AM »
Hi,

Then dive in playmaker cause this is what will enable you to realize your ideas.

Regards gui and playmaker, I can't really give you advice, since I haven't done anything more than glancing through the gui set of playmaker actions. But gui skins is most of the time something very distinct from the actual code or behavior responsible from showing gui elements.

Unity let you create and edit your own skin, you got that right?
 Unity also let you adjust on top of that skin basic things like color, alpha, and rotation matrix. If that's not enough, then EZGUI is the way forward, but the learning curve is definitely not the same as playmaker. You will need to dive into it and read the doc very carefully before starting.

Bye,

Jean

Psmith

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 09:33:14 AM »
Thank you Jean.

Psmith