playMaker

Author Topic: [SOLVED] doing action after a certain time spent in a state ?  (Read 2428 times)

sachaMagne

• Playmaker Newbie
Hi,
I would like to implement this behaviour with Playmaker but can't find the "proper playmaker" logic to do it:

I got a char. that got different states :running,walking and idle.  I got the char. status through boolean and getting them is not a problem.

My issue is more a "playmaker logic" one:
 I want to regenerate its energy after staying xx seconds in idle mode.

I tried actions timed based but ran into infinite loop at best...

I can't figure any functional and clean way to implement this basic system so far...

Any help would be appreciated !

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 10:30:09 AM by Alex Chouls »

ciabaros

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: doing action after a certain time spent in a state ?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 12:14:18 PM »
Here's the general idea; I'm assuming a new FSM just to keep this solution isolated from the rest of your unknown setup:

Below, I assume that you have access to that character-idle boolean, and I refer to it as "[char-idle]", whatever it is.

• State1: "Wait for Idle" (Start State) -- checks for [char-idle]==true every frame, and fires FINISHED once/if true. Transition: FINISHED --> "Reset Idle Time"
  • State2: "Reset Idle Time" -- resets a float variable "IdleStartTime" to current time, and Transitions to "Charge" on FINISHED.
  • State3: "Charge" -- (1) check bool [char-idle] EVERY FRAME and if FALSE, transition to "Wait for Idle" (if TRUE do nothing), (2) Check difference between "IdleStartTime" and current time EVERY FRAME; if >= X-seconds, transition to "Regenerate", else, do nothing. UPDATE: Fixed this by each of these checks happening every frame. Unless your [char-idle] is a global variable, may need to split this into 2 states, due to action limitations.
  • State4: "Regenrate" -- Regenerate character's energy, and transition to "Wait for Idle"

This should do it, if implemented correctly.

Additional Note:
The reason you cannot use "Wait" anywhere in this solution, is because during that wait period, the character could leave and re-enter Idle mode and you would never know, giving the sneaky bastard a regen, when not deserved :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 12:32:29 AM by ciabaros »

sachaMagne

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: doing action after a certain time spent in a state ?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 02:53:52 AM »
Thanks for your explanation. It helps a lot. I found my first real problem was trying to do it in 3 states. I guess i should start thinking "atomic"...

thanks anyway, it works great.