playMaker

Author Topic: Code breaking game, Font manipulation?  (Read 3024 times)

markfrancombe

Code breaking game, Font manipulation?
« on: April 13, 2013, 06:16:12 AM »
This may be impossible...

Imagine a block of weird text, its unreadable due to being written in an Alien Language. You solve a puzzle, and figure out ONE Letter of the alien alphabet (Its just substitution one font for another) So everywhere in that block of text where that Alien letter was, is now revealed in normal, human text A B C D... etc

Now this is a GUI Style thing, have 2, one normal one alien, Set a bool per letter of the alphabet A=1 B=0 C=0 etc but... changing the font in a block of text on a per letter basis?
Is this even possible?
Is there some other way to achieve this?

mark

KozTheBoss

• You dont fail unless you give up trying to succeed
    • Pixel Life - portfolio
Re: Code breaking game, Font manipulation?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 09:08:31 AM »
I think the easiest way to do this is find an alien font, setup your letters with a GUI text object (one GUI TEXT object for each letter) and make your 4-5 alien letters and then make 4-5 MORE GUI TEXT objects with the corresponding human letters, and when the game starts, the alien GUI TEXTS are visible and human letters are invisible, and just use simple actions or whatever you want to switch visibility of the letters. so the first alien letter goes invisible and at the same time, the human letter at the same place becomes visible so it looks like the letter changed
Remember, you don't fail unless you give up trying to succeed!

markfrancombe

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 12:14:49 PM »
I see what you mean, and its a way, certainly, but considering the idea is to decode WHOLE letters and documents, its gonna be extremely heavy work laying out all the letters, but you got me thinking certainly:

Maybe one game object PER LETTER; with children of both Alien and Human letters, THEN, maybe I can make a reusable FSM where a string is turned into ... um... (veering off my knowledge here...) a row of GO´s ugh!... not sure how...

Thanks for the hint tho...

I guess quick anser is ... theres no easy way?

;D

M

PolyMad

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 10:23:56 AM »
A font that contains BOTH alien and human characters.

Human text is just at the normal position.
Alien text just has an offset so to fall in the alien characters zone.

You just have to build up your font.
Search -> Font Creator / Font Forge.

markfrancombe

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 03:48:44 PM »
AHA!! Great idea!! YOu just mean that if both fonts are combined, when the new Alien Letter is decoded, it adds the offset (26 for 26 letters) and shows a different character... YES!! I get it!!

I dont know what Font Creator /Font FOrge is... however.. is this a Unity thing, or should I google it?

(Googling it now of course!)

EDIT:  DONE Googling! OK so you meant a font editting program... found both! Thanks, I think I have one anyway, but it may have stopped working after Mountain Lion... will check out your suggestions..

GREAT IDEA thanks!!

MArk
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 03:51:52 PM by markfrancombe »

PolyMad

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 04:52:05 PM »
Ye you got it ;)
It may require some time to make the font, but at least you don't have to code a new font management system  ;D