playMaker

Author Topic: How would one go about making a "skin" change option(Solved) great info  (Read 2848 times)

Saputo

Say, I wanted to make a scene were you could select from different skins, how would I make this show up when the Scene is loaded, on the player.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 04:47:42 PM by Saputo »

escpodgames

• Assets
Re: How would one go about making a "skin" change option
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 07:28:14 PM »
What do you mean by skin? change the model?, change the texture?, change the shader?

Saputo

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 07:38:13 PM »
I have a 2D game, I build the animations in 2D toolkit, so I was wondering is there a way to change the look of the player/animation with ones that are preset up. like oh i don't want to look like a knight this time, i want to look like a wizard,bam starts new game selects wizard and done, game loads with the wizard loo in the new game.

escpodgames

• Assets
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 08:02:14 PM »
That has nothing to do with Playmaker, take a look at the docs or tutorials for 2Dtoolkit. Depending on what apps you have you would have to either source the character art or produce it yourself. I assume you can just swap out the existing art.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 08:03:59 PM by LampRabbit »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 12:36:20 AM »
Hi,

yes, and ngui also has some amazing features like with one call you can swap the ui atlas and you have something looking completly different.

the one thing I find hard when switching skin is that each skin has different widgets behavior, so you can't really turn a girafe into an elephant without actually having to design your girafe and elephant... so switching skin yes, but that's only a pur graphical switch, the behavior, size and meaning will be exactly the same, any other wish will require two different UI design and behavior, not just a skin swap.

your case is very like this I guess, cause a knight will have different behavior than a wizard, different animation names, different purpose basically. So I would think that you will need a different set all together, not just a graphic switch.

bye,

Jean

Saputo

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 04:47:01 PM »
well for my game, a graphic change would work just fine. I was thinking for future ref. if it can be done, I was thinking of giving the option to the players who have helped support the game. like maybe make a char like them, but graphic will do just fine. ty