playMaker

Author Topic: Formatting tooltip text?  (Read 2545 times)

KozTheBoss

• You dont fail unless you give up trying to succeed
    • Pixel Life - portfolio
Formatting tooltip text?
« on: April 19, 2013, 08:59:20 AM »
yay, more problems! Sorry for the mass influx of help posts, but i do trust you people to help me make the best graduation project possible! <3

This time, im now making GUI Buttons for the UI, and these buttons all have tooltips (as part of the GUI BUTTON action you can set the tooltip) below this GUI BUTTON action is a GUI TOOLTIP action that takes the tooltip string from the button, and stores it as a string var. i am then displaying this string var on a GUI text object

My problem is that this string is unformatted, which means it has no line breaks or anything, and is so long that it exits the screen

My question is if there is any way to format Tooltip strings before they are displayed?

<3 you guys

-Fred
Remember, you don't fail unless you give up trying to succeed!

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Formatting tooltip text?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 01:34:58 AM »
Hi,

What kind of formatting? inserting returns? can you not have the formatting in the string already? that would be the most direct approach.

bye,

Jean

KozTheBoss

• Pixel Life - portfolio
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 06:04:58 AM »
Hi Jean! Yeah, like returns :)

But the tooltip text is a preset text and i cannot edit it - i save it to a string that is displayed, but the tooltip text changes itself depending on what button or i hover my mouse over, and it all uses the same string so there is no way to format it I think

It is not like normal text that i save to a string, since that is static i can divide it into several strings and format it by line breaks, but the entire tooltip text is saved to 1 string so i cant format it since it´s also dynamic

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 02:59:20 PM »
hi,

Have you tried to create a custom skin for this? and set it up to wrap the content automatically?

bye,

Jean

KozTheBoss

• Pixel Life - portfolio
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 02:50:15 PM »
Hey Jean! Honestly, i´ve never heard of custom skins! I will check it out :) Thanks!