playMaker

Author Topic: Help, character controllers are colliding, but event is not being triggered  (Read 13394 times)

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
https://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Components/class-CharacterController.html

A Capsule Collider is included in the Standard Character Controller Component. You don't need to add additional ones and that probably confuses the controller.

This is very likely the problem.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

billsclass

• Playmaker Newbie
Thanks, Lane.

I don't think I doubled up the colliders. For some reason when using a Character Controller, the object using the character controller can not initiate a Collision Event, only a Trigger Event.

In other words, if I shoot a rigidbody object at my character controller object, I can detect a collision using Collision Event on the "projectile" object.

If I set the "projectile" on the ground or suspend it in the air and run into it with a character controller collider, the bullet will not detect the collision nor will the character controller object detect a collision. This leads me to wonder if character controllers can only receive collision and not initiate a collision.

Another way of putting is,
Drop a rigidbody cube on the "Player" = Collision Event
"Player" jumps on the same cube ≠ Collision Event

Controller Collision Flags fire in the above scenario, just not a collision event.

I'll build a sample scene that demonstrates. Maybe there is some conflict I am creating with my Playmaker/Physics logic.

Thanks again for the input.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Hi,

not aware of any. I use the same technic as you mention, a child of the character controller.

bye,

Jean