playMaker

Author Topic: How do I use Send Remote Event?  (Read 2501 times)

Gevarre

• Playmaker Newbie
How do I use Send Remote Event?
« on: May 14, 2013, 01:27:45 AM »
hi,
I'm trying to set up a pickup in a networked game and am having a little problem with Send Remote Event. What should happen is when the player enters the trigger on the pickup, the pickup should send the remote event to the player.

The player has an fsm with the event I want to activate in it. The event is set to global. On the pickup I have a state that stores the game object of the player in it when it's triggered. After that I have the Send Remote Event. I use "Specify Game Object" and set it to the stored variable of the player, but when I go to select the "Remote Event", all I can select from are the events on the pickup. The global event on the player isn't listed at all.

I'm probably just setting it up wrong, but there doesn't seem to be any example of this anywhere to look at. Any clues would be appreciated.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: How do I use Send Remote Event?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 03:34:05 AM »
Hi,

you might face a small issue with playmaker where if you just created that global event, you need to exit the fsm view, save and renter for the event list to feature you newly created event. Could that be the case?

the event must be global, but I think you got that covered.

Send Remote Event, is really the same thing as Send Event, only that it will be transported over the network. by default, "ALL" is set, so everyone connected in the same room as the player you are sending the event from will receive it. You can choose "Others", so that only other running instances on the network will receive it, etc.

Given your example, it seems tho that this is not what you should use.

Your player and the pick up object are in the same running instance, simply send a regular event from the pick to the player.
bye,

Jean