playMaker

Author Topic: talent tree  (Read 3499 times)

ghostmachine

• Playmaker Newbie
talent tree
« on: May 22, 2013, 01:50:27 PM »
Has anyone developed any actions for a talent or skill tree with playmaker?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: talent tree
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 01:21:15 AM »
Hi,

Can you detail a bit more?

bye,

Jean

ghostmachine

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 03:23:34 PM »
[/img]I am working on a skill- talent tree, get a key then a GUI interface would pop up with skills to work toward. As a player acquired experience he would generate points, quests points, etc. Player can use on skill tree for enhancements, basically interfacing with a custom set of icons using lines. So for instance a fighter picked 2-handed swords the tree would branch that way. I have been working on scripts but would like to incorporate Playmaker. Thank you
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 03:47:50 PM by ghostmachine »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 01:59:26 AM »
hi,

if your tree is hardcoded, then that's not too difficult, you can maintain lists of skills using ArrayMaker.

As the user do something, the actual action will fire an event to your talent manager, and it's going to be his responsabilty to check that action and progress in the tree if valid.

don't over think this, it's actually very simple.

what I would do is for each talent node have a fsm, on a prefab that is instantiate when the skill is pending ( the next skill), then it simply watch or listen for the user action and trigger itself as "enabled" in the talent tree, and the next skill is instanciated.

do you see what I mean? so you can build your tree either with a simple set of list, OR each skill knows what is the next possible skills and instantiate them, which is actually a very good solution too.

bye,

Jean

ghostmachine

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 05:55:47 PM »
Thank you Jean!