playMaker

Author Topic: Joint Mechanics  (Read 1845 times)

golgogames

• Playmaker Newbie
Joint Mechanics
« on: May 27, 2013, 04:26:56 AM »
I've been having the darndest time making a functional 2D grappling hook in playmaker. It seems like I can get halfway there, then I can make the other half, but I can't get them to work together. My problem is with joints.

What I want to do is use a projectile that sticks to objects with a certain tag. That's easy. Then I want the projectile to form a joint with the player. That's also easy. The problem is that when the joint forms (it happens regardless of the joint type I use), the player seems to get stuck at the present location instead of swinging relative to the projectile's position.

Any idea why this is happening?

I'll gladly post screenshots if need be (probably the case). I'm also very open to other methods of accomplishing the same end. Can anyone recommend a way to simulate a joint without actually using the physics component? Maybe a way to set a specific distance from the projectile, then apply constraints?

Thank you for any help you can provide, or even clues to anything I've missed.

golgogames

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Joint Mechanics
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 08:21:57 AM »
I have a working solution to the joint problem, but I would still like to hear suggestions for alternative approaches.