playMaker

Author Topic: Global Events disappearing from Send Event action  (Read 3847 times)

dasbin

• Junior Playmaker
Global Events disappearing from Send Event action
« on: June 04, 2013, 11:38:06 PM »
Hi,

Sometimes, an FSM will work fine (correctly send an event), but when I open up the state to view the Send Event action, the Event field will suddenly appear blank (even though it is previously set) and suddenly PM throws the "blank required field" error. If I attempt to re-select the Event from the list, the Global Event that I want to send to will not even appear in the list any more!  I have to go to the FSM that contains the Global Events, then "look at" the Events list on that FSM... then, when I go back to the Send Event action, those Global Events that I "looked at" are suddenly visible again and able to be chosen (and usually, the one is was previously set to will appear to be set again).

In this case the FSM sending the event is attached to a prefab (though I am editing it as an instance, not from the Prefabs list), but it is not a template, and it is not referring to any specific object (it is set to Broadcast All in this case).

I am getting more and more of these mysterious "Things are disappearing" type of bugs (see my previous thread, http://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=3861.0 ) as the number of FSM's, global variables, and global events increases in my project to many hundreds of each.

Although the bug happens all the time inside different FSM's, it is not strictly reproducible because the events re-appear after looking at them and there is nothing specific I can do to get them to disappear again - it just seems to happen randomly.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 11:45:40 PM by dasbin »

AtomicJoe

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Global Events disappearing from Send Event action
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 05:36:55 AM »
I made a bug report on this and the other thread bug too, since it seems to be the same bug.
It's interesting to see it mainly happens with global variables/events and prefabs.
I have noticed this is happening when I press the "apply" button on a prefab's instance child in the scene, however, this is not happening every time.

Could it be related to the playmaker editor view update corrupting everything?
I hope they will fix this soon!

dasbin

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 11:55:36 AM »
Just want to make the same note I did on the other bug: for me it still happens when I press apply on the root, not just the child, so long as the root has an FSM on it (I think that is the key point - that an FSM is visible in the editor window when pushing Apply - then things get corrupted.)

dasbin

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 07:12:42 PM »
Another update. When right-clicking a state to add a Transition or Global Transition, half the time, the Global Events sub-menu doesn't even appear.
If I open up the playmaker Event Viewer window, then right-click to add a transition again, all of a sudden the Global Events menu appears this time. It's like Playmaker just forgets that Global Events even exist until you look at them.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 12:39:06 PM »
I'm looking into this - thanks for the repro tips!

Does keeping the Global Variables window open help?

dasbin

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 08:07:16 PM »
Do you mean the Event Browser window? If so, yes.
If you mean that you think the Global Variables window is somehow connected to the problem of Events disappearing, that hadn't occurred to me - I can test that if that's what you meant.
I can confirm though that keeping the Global Variables window open seems to help the other bug (where global variables change their name), though it's probably too early to be sure on any of this.