playMaker

Author Topic: Preferences: Disable tool-tips.  (Read 5222 times)

Red

Preferences: Disable tool-tips.
« on: August 10, 2013, 09:01:03 AM »
Hey there! Though I do like the tooltips as they are great for learning, sometimes i've found myself having to fight against them because they're obscuring what i'm aiming to click.

Is there a way to disable the tool-tips in the graph view?

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
Re: Preferences: Disable tool-tips.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 09:08:07 AM »
If you mean the hints, press F1 to toggle them on/off. There's also a button next to Preferences.

Red

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 05:10:37 PM »
no, it's that little blurb that pops up when you hover the mouse over one of the fields of an action... it's not a big issue, more a convenience thing to be completely honest (and as such a very low priority thing.)

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 02:49:19 PM »
Actually those have bothered me sometimes... I've been reading a lot about information fatigue lately, how the brain has to pay attention to any little bit of information it's given, and bit by bit it wears you down without you realizing it. Been thinking about implications for UI design and PlayMaker which inherently deals with a lot of information. Tooltips are an interesting thought experiment - you assume they're good to have, but does the constant popup of information actually wear you down...? Maybe you should have to click the label to get info?

Red

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 09:46:00 AM »
hmm, well, if I can offer some ideas.

Assuming that the tool-tips themselves are not something hard-coded into unity and something you can alter for Playmaker, maybe having in the preferences a spot where you can toggle them on and off and also adding in a spot where you can have a "click to reveal" and/or a "reveal tip when held over spot for X seconds" kinda thing?

I have no clue if this is do-able or how hard/easy it'd be but I (personally) would certainly like something like this. that said, i'd definately consider this one of those little things so i'd not want to ask for it to be done asap if there are other issues that need to be addressed.

Bhoopalan

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 10:33:20 AM »
I'm back to playmaker after a long time. I was not a pro even when I was using playmaker previously. :P

I work on a laptop and the tips already occupy a lot of space. So I thought of turning it off. But in macbook F1 is to reduce brightness? I was not able to disable tips. I had to go to FSM tab where I found the 'Hints' button. May be it needs something better.