playMaker

Author Topic: Playmaker + Mercurial or Git, does it work?[YES]  (Read 3481 times)

flyingaudio

• Playmaker Newbie
Playmaker + Mercurial or Git, does it work?[YES]
« on: September 12, 2013, 12:08:13 PM »
Two indie developers using Mercurial and Bitbucket.  Unity setup for external version control.  Excluding Library and Temp.  Unity project with no add-ons works.

When I create a new project with Playmaker, and the other dev clones it, Unity crashes when he tries to open it.  It crashes when it reaches Playmaker during the "Hold On" dialog (importing and caching process).

I can completely delete my local repository and clone the project from Bitbucket, and it opens and runs as expected on my computer.

Is it possible to version control using Mercurial or Git?  If so, what am I doing wrong?  Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 02:18:47 AM by jeanfabre »

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
Re: Playmaker + Mercurial or Git, does it work?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 12:30:33 PM »
It should work. We use mercurial version control for all our Playmaker projects.

Are there any errors in the unity editor log?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 01:32:11 PM »
Hi,

R.mote is using bitbucket/Mercurial/SourceTree, it's really a combination that I am the most at ease with ( tried a lot of variants, like svn, git etc, but this one is the onewhere I don't fear everytime I press a button or execute a command...) I guess it's a lot to do with SourceTree having somewhat a good visual interface and icons to reflect what it's actually going to do.

Bye,

Jean

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 02:49:22 PM »
Hi,

As a possible hint to solve your crash. I think you should not ignore the library folder completly.

Try first by not ignoring anything, is it crashing still?

Are you on Windows or Mac?

Bye,

Jean

flyingaudio

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 03:29:22 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I am grateful to hear this is working, there is hope (we are using the same tools as your are Jean).

In the most recent test, I didn't ignore anything, so Library was included, and it still failed on my partners computer.  I was starting to look through the error log that Alex recommended, but thought I should do it with Library excluded, so I am doing another test with "proper" settings first and will report that.

NOTE: During this time we have discovered some odd behavior with my partner's Unity install (not able to import an fbx file), so he is reinstalling.  I will report back after we retest with his new install.

flyingaudio

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 12:53:05 AM »
SOLVED:
Thanks for your quick responses.  The problem was not caused by version control, and is not Playmaker.

The problem was a HP laptop with Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 and Nvidia GT 740M. 
We had been working fine with Unity 4.1.5.  This week we decided to change to 4.2.1 and add version control.  Unity on his HP laptop would crash every time he cloned a project and started it up.  It would crash during the import of Playmaker (testing showed it would crash on other plugins also).   

The break through came when he tried to import an FBX, and it would crash. Then finally he tried creating a primitive within Unity and it crashed.  He turned off the 4600 graphics and everything is working as expected.  This was a multi-day event with many surprises.

He will make a bug report to Unity tomorrow.  Thanks again for your support.