playMaker

Author Topic: Painful registration process [FIXED]  (Read 7264 times)

fysa

• Playmaker Newbie
Painful registration process [FIXED]
« on: March 23, 2011, 08:24:06 PM »
Maybe a bit too much on the CAPTCHA and password requirements .. I had to submit/hit back four times while registering, and then had to send the validation email twice for some reason?  (gmail)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 03:31:33 PM by alexchouls »

Murcho

• 1.2 Beta
  • Junior Playmaker
Re: Painful registration process
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 09:44:29 PM »
I agree, I had to re submit a few times, the even numbers should read "inclusive".  Took a while to work out I needed 10 in there as well.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 10:02:58 PM »
Sorry about that! We had a booming bot party going on in the first forum we set up - just a bunch of bots shouting at each other over drinks - if a human had walked into the bar they all would've turned to stare...

So maybe we overcompensated a tad... :P

denkiva

• Administrator
  • Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 10:32:49 PM »
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the feedback, I've removed the numbers question, and the member email verification process.  After we were overrun by about (not exaggerating, seriously!!) 13,000 spam posts on our previous forum I went a little security crazy.  Actually I was talked down from implementing 10 personality/brain teaser questions and DNA analysis... I'm still a bit twitchy about bots, but I'll stand down :-)

Thank you so much for having the wherewithal to defeat the 5 rings of registration Hell!!

:'(

Vanessa

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 10:37:54 PM by denkiva »

MaDDoX

• 1.2 Beta
    • FluidPlay Studios
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 09:18:35 AM »
To chime in on that, the 8-character password is a bit over-demanding but it's ok. Now, requesting to use mixed case letters is a bit too much imo :(

If it wasn't the PlayMaker forum, I would *sure* have quit registering right there :)
--
Breno "MaDDoX" Azevedo
@brenoazevedo

Steamgauge

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Steamgauge
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 09:41:19 AM »
I had a few issues with it too and was about to give up until I also noticed you can simply hit the back, or even refresh, and get the same CAPTCHA and alphabet question and simply retry without it resulting in an error or having to type everything out again. Spambots might quickly make use of that with brute force attempts.

Best bet, single Unity related question to keep the bots out and Unity users still able to register. :)
-

denkiva

• Administrator
  • Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 03:14:55 PM »
To chime in on that, the 8-character password is a bit over-demanding but it's ok. Now, requesting to use mixed case letters is a bit too much imo :(

If it wasn't the PlayMaker forum, I would *sure* have quit registering right there :)

Hello!

Fixed that one!  should be less demanding now. :-)