playMaker

Author Topic: Change name of global variable BUG  (Read 2864 times)

Bjakuja

• Junior Playmaker
Change name of global variable BUG
« on: October 26, 2013, 07:33:32 AM »
Have a look at this image and tell me is this normal or not?
How come that I can't change the name of Global variable and I think I could change it early on with some warning.
This is important feature to change global variables, few times I wanted to change global variable and I couldn't so have to create new var and set new var in every object where is used.
Btw few times I deleted some global variable and it turns out that my project was messed up and variables gone crazy and some of them switched with each other which caused huge problem.
So anyone else having same issue with Global varibles?
Thanks! :o

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Change name of global variable BUG
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 08:23:50 AM »
Hi,

Yes, global variables and global events have been locked since a few versions now to prevent an issue that still needs to be resolved. So you can't edit global variables names or global events names until this is fixed.

bye,

Jean

Bjakuja

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 10:48:31 AM »
Thanks Jean, I thought it's just me, thank god I am not cause I know you folks will fix this problem soon!
Cheers!

escpodgames

• Assets
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 01:44:35 AM »
Any news on this? This is the main reason I haven't updated in a long time :S

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 04:55:36 AM »
Hi,

It's still lock, I will make sure to mention this during the next beta cycle.

bye,

Jean

kanae

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 03:36:08 AM »
I realize this is a year old...  But the global variable names are still greyed out, I guess this was never resolved?  I just realized due to copyright issues I have to change the name of a bunch of my global variables (thanks, copyright office, for letting people copyright things they shouldn't be able to!!!)

So unless this gets fixed in the future I have a LOT of name changing and testing to do...

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 04:15:46 AM »
Hi,

I think you are getting confused with content of a variable and the name of a variable.

the name of a variable isn't an issue since it's never exposed publicly in your game at all, It's totally internal to your code.

you can name a variable "PlayMaker" or "IPHONE" and you are NOT facing any copyright issues, you would only face copyright issues if you display a text or a logo in your gameview, where the user can view it.

Or maybe I don't understand, pm me if you can't talk publicly on this.

Bye,

Jean

wheretheidivides

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 01:41:02 AM »
1) Global variable names are disable right now.  Hopefully, they will fix this in the next release.  A real pain.
2) Copyright law (in the US) has to do with artwork.  If you copy a Pac-Man or Donkey Kong graphic, then that is infringement.  If you create your own picture, it is not.  Trademark infringement has to do with trademarks or logos.  So having a Apple with a bite out of it would be a trademark issue.

What you name stuff inside of the game is never seen so no one cares.  Now, trademarks are by industry and I think there are like 12 of them.  That means Mcdonalds may have a trademark for food but you could have one for clothes.  The big companies will run the gambit and trademark for every industry,

Still, can you call your game Pac-Man????  If Namco has a (r) or TM, then they have laid claim to that name or registered it.  But did the guy who did Flappy Birds get a trademark on the name?  I don't think so.  You could have a game called Flappy Birds.

Basically, you're OK.