playMaker

Author Topic: Hard limit to number of properties on a custom action?  (Read 2557 times)

CareLevelZero

• Playmaker Newbie
  • All design, all the time.
Hard limit to number of properties on a custom action?
« on: October 26, 2013, 06:57:57 PM »
I have an interesting situation that I've been having a Hell of a time debugging, so I thought I'd see if anybody else had encountered it.

I have a custom action that has 9 properties on it.  They break down as follows (and in this order):

3x enum fields
3x bool toggles
1x game object field
2x transition event fields

If I add a third transition event property at the end, it will revert to being blank after every time I run the game.  It cannot retain any information set before the game is run.

At one point, I added a bool and an additional game object ahead of the transition field events.  When I did some, running the game would cause both of the events as well as the newly added bool toggle and game object field to dump all of their data.  Every time I would set the data anew, run the game, stop the game, and watch all four of those fields empty.

Any takers?  :)

Incidentally, this is not using a custom editor.  I've deleted and recreated the transitions and several of the variables.  No joy.

CareLevelZero

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Hard limit to number of properties on a custom action?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 10:02:38 PM »
I haven't managed to fix it but I did manage to make it "stop happening," so to speak, by copying an older version of the file back over top and making some targeted changes.  It definitely starts falling apart at the 10 public property marker, so I'm working around it for now.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 03:33:28 AM »
Hi,

Can you file a bug report, including the full script of that custom action that fails? I use to have way more properties per action back in the first days of arrayMaker, so I am not sure what problem you found here, but we need to look at this properly. there should not be any limits on this.

bye,

Jean

CareLevelZero

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 09:49:05 PM »
Hey Jean,

After some further evaluation and tests of other scripts, I don't think the script will actually do you any good.  I managed to trace it back to a point that I used MonoDevelop's F2 "Rename Class" function.  I suspect it altered something, somewhere else, that it really shouldn't have.

I've had no issue adding many more properties to other custom actions but I've also refrained from using F2 ever since for any renaming operations.

CareLevelZero

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 12:34:28 AM »
Hmm, I may have spoken too soon.  I'm starting to see odd behaviour again.  Specifically, if I add another property to one of my Custom Actions, it starts throwing out-of-index-range errors all over the place.  It doesn't matter what type of property I'm adding, or of I replace a property with something else, I get hammered with that error unless I just leave the whole thing alone.

Actually, if I even REMOVE one too many properties, it will start throwing the same error.  It's like it refuses to update the number of fields in the array to account for how many properties I actually have anymore.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 12:40:51 AM by CareLevelZero »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 01:36:09 AM »
Hi,

Did you actually created a playmaker bug report on this, I can't see any in the logs.

bye,

Jean

CareLevelZero

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 06:04:21 PM »
Hey Jean,

I didn't actually end up filing a bug for the issue because I feel that I lack enough information for people to act on.  I've seen the issue come and go at random.  For instance, for the last half hour, all of the events on one of my blocks were being reset after every time I played the game.  Then it just stopped.  I hadn't altered anything.

If I can narrow things down a bit more, I'll file a bug.  Otherwise, I'm just asking for somebody to find a tree in a forest.   :-\

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 03:38:14 AM »
Hi,

don't worry, a bug report doesn't need to be perfect, and you can then come back to it and add comments, so don't hesitate.

bye,

Jean