playMaker

Poll

Should new series of official Playmaker video tutorials be made?

Yes
97 (98%)
No
0 (0%)
Maybe
2 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Author Topic: POLL:Should new series of official Playmaker video tutorials be made?  (Read 16935 times)

Nitrohex

• Junior Playmaker
I have created this poll because i have learned a lot from the existing official Playmaker video tutorials, and i would like very much to see new great series on Playmaker.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 08:12:42 PM by Nitrohex »

dreamlarp

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Bionic Marine Command Space FPS WIP
Re: POLL:Should new series of official Playmaker video tutorials be made?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 08:24:05 PM »
I would like to see some video's on some of the plugins that playmaker has support for like NGUI. UFPS, Dialog system and photon ect...
Bionic Marine Command Space FPS WIP
http://spacedwarves.blogspot.com/

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 08:45:47 PM »
I have created this poll because i have learned a lot from the existing official Playmaker video tutorials, and i would like very much to see new great series on Playmaker.

They are great, I agree.

What would you want to see in a new set, anything specific?
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

dreamlarp

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Bionic Marine Command Space FPS WIP
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 12:53:26 AM »

They are great, I agree.

Well for starters what I posted above. This kit is amazing in that he supports so many other products. Many of us have several of the products on his list. Making a tutorial series on those products would be a great start.
Bionic Marine Command Space FPS WIP
http://spacedwarves.blogspot.com/

Nitrohex

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 08:45:57 AM »

They are great, I agree.

I would like to see sophisticated 2D/3D mobile game projects being made step by step, but in general, any new tutorial on Playmaker would be great.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 01:07:51 AM »
Hi,

All this is under heavy discussions. PlayMaker is very much aware of the need for all this, the question is resources as always.

Unity Pace of development and the asset store is a crazy and almost scary! just to keep up with Unity updates is a challenge to begin with!! I keep smiling at this thougth everytime I go to the office, cause it's just simply overwhelming and a fantastic place to be atm.

So, always make yourself heard, this definitly help prioritize where things are needed! Thanks for this.

Bye,

Jean

nomax5

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 03:12:54 AM »
First post (cat pigeons lol)

Perhaps the question should have been "How much would you be willing to pay for new tutorials?" I've bought Playmaker, UFPS, UniStorm and countless other assets some of which I will probably never use.

I for one would be happy to pay a extra for video tutorials, and I think it is only fair that there is a cost for this Additional resource that is outside the scope of product support.

Playmaker delivers on its promise, we've got our monies worth, does what it says on the tin.
The trouble is, I'm not that good at reading and I could use some help.   

I'm thinking FSM Academy - Playmaker Academy - Crowd funding - Donation system  whatever it takes

I'm sure the community would be willing to help.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 01:56:03 PM »
Hi,

Yes, all these ideas are already bouncing around, what is missing is time and resources as far as I am concerned ( and I guess it's the same with HutongGames...)

for example, I am currently trying to populate a list of questions on playmaker to one day hopefully, create some kind of "certification", so that work requests can be dispatched amongst trustworthy playmaker developers that would be certified with a certain level of expertize and "seriousness" always very crucial to be certain of for clients.

Crowd funding within the community would be fantastic, but I am not sure how to do that without sounding weird in a way, I could see some potential negative comments like "well, I have bought a license, and now you want me to pay to learn... no way!", this would likely happen I feel, and be a very difficult issue to handle without risking taking down PlayMaker itself.

Bye,

Jean

gheeDough

• Playmaker Newbie
    • indie game school
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 06:49:24 AM »
Hey all,

While it's not technically crowd-funding, you may have already seen that I've started a site called indie game school. The goal of the site is to contact great teachers and to get them to teach classes on various aspects of gamedev, and my intention is for most of them to be evolving Playmaker. I'm not involved with Hutong Games in any way and am purely doing this to create the sort of training that I'd like to get ;)

Tutorials are great (I've literally watched thousands over the years), but they're a lonely way to learn. Personally, I much prefer actual classes that are based around tutorials but that are facilitated by a teacher and are taken by group of people at the same time, with the goal of creating something. You get feedback not only form the teacher, but also from your classmates and get to apply the knowledge you've learnt directly. It's a much more effective way of learning IMO.

Our first class starts in just under two weeks and is taught by Christopher Orth, the man behind the excellent PM tuts. It's called an FPS Design class but you can make any 3D game that is played in FP-perspective. It's the first in a series, with later classes dealing with things like menu creation, Photon integration, Mecanim and more.

The 'downside' of this is that paying a teacher to create the tuts and then give individual feedback on your progress costs money. At the moment, this means A$50 (~US$45) to get access to the tuts, the feedback and the ability to ask questions in forums as well as live sessions. We're looking into ways to make this more modular, so that the people who only want the tutorials can get them along with peer-support forums and those who want the extra support form the instructor can pay for it when/if they need it.

What do you all think of this approach?

TheDaleatron

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 02:18:22 PM »
Yea i recently just purchased play maker, and i found alot of the tutorials fairly dated, and didnt seem to match what i was seeing in my version.

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 02:30:42 PM »
I'll make some new tutorials, do you have any specific needs or more of a basic introduction to PM?
Products by Cleverous

snuff

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 07:10:43 AM »
MECANIM
ADVANCED MECANIM

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 07:18:09 AM »
MECANIM
ADVANCED MECANIM

I'm not very familiar with Mecanim at the moment but getting into it more with all this UMA stuff. I'll work on something.
Products by Cleverous

coffeeANDsoda

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 09:31:50 PM »
A game that combined catching certain items and using others to attack other A.I.

I'll make some new tutorials, do you have any specific needs or more of a basic introduction to PM?
Though a memory driven type of game as well as a introduction and example of creating puzzles for a adventure game would be of interest.

Plus, a video tutorial covering a matching game would be cool. I saw an example of one you upload awhile back, but no link to download the package.

Alatriste

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 03:43:31 AM »
I would be very interested in how Playmaker works together with the new animation system. There are same good tutorials about 2D, but it would be great to have something more update to match Unity 4.3.

Something like this, but using Playmaker: http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/2d/2d-controllers

It would be also a good idea to try to do something like this tutorials, but using Playmaker instead, as the tutorial covers many important aspects of game creation using a very simple game as an example: http://www.3dbuzz.com/forum/threads/181409-Over-7-hours-of-Unity-Training-Videos-Download-them-now