playMaker

Author Topic: NGUI Update Label Text  (Read 7244 times)

mikejkelley

NGUI Update Label Text
« on: November 19, 2013, 07:16:01 PM »
This is actually from a paid-for action pack, was wondering if it's just something that by it's very nature is processor intensive. I'm subtracting 30 ammo each frame while the player is firing, converting that as a string and sending it thru a NGUI Update Label Text action. NGUI Update Label Text is grinding gameplay to a halt.

I've specified ammo as a global int var using playmaker, is there a good way to get NGUI to display that value?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 12:11:24 AM by mikejkelley »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: NGUI Update Label Text
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 12:09:03 AM »
Hi,

Are you testing this in Editor or is it on the device or published version?

Such feature should not halt your game at all, I guess something very wrong is happening here. Do you have Unity pro? maybe you profile the game and see what exactly is taking time.

else, you need to cut down your problem, disable features one by one to see which one is taking so long. then you can work on that feature to improve it or find another way.

Bye,

Jean

mikejkelley

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 01:31:06 AM »
Hi Jean,

I'm testing it in the editor. Unfortunately, I don't have Unity Pro. I'd disabled the NGUI Update Label Text and found that to be the culprit. I wrote the creator of the action pack, I hope to hear back from him soon.

mikejkelley

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 02:09:15 PM »
Update, haven't heard back but ran a build and the game seems unaffected. The halt grinding only occurs in the editor. I get other errors (messages) depending on whether or not I run the window maximized or not.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 11:10:48 PM »
Hi,

Which paid asset are you using? Have you contacted the author already to enquire?

bye,

Jean

mikejkelley

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 03:21:38 AM »
Hi Jean,

The action packs are the "Playmaker NGUI Scripts" in the asset store.

I was referring to the author when I said I hadn't heard back. Sry for the confusion.

mikejkelley

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 02:55:05 PM »
I wrote the author Phillip Pierce twice w/out a response, the fourth time I wrote him he again claimed the issue was w/ NGUI (despite the fact that disabling his actions eliminates the errors). He asked me to post in the NGUI forums which I did, being careful to note that the issue stemmed from his third-third party add-on and not Playmaker itself.

Long story short, if you see "NGUI Playmaker Scripts" on the asset store, I recommend giving it a pass.  :(
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 02:59:53 PM by mikejkelley »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 06:10:46 AM »
Hi,

What nGui forum guys said? pm me with a repro if you can, I'll see where the problem lies exactly.

bye,

Jean

mikejkelley

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 10:19:19 PM »
Hi Jean,

No response on the NGUI forums, here's the thread;
http://www.tasharen.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=9d55223191a9d23abb8e250194651b90&topic=6686.msg31931#msg31931

I've finally convinced Phillip to look into, says he'll get back to me.