playMaker

Author Topic: Thinking about purchasing, but I have a question though...  (Read 5301 times)

Adam Z

Thinking about purchasing, but I have a question though...
« on: August 05, 2011, 03:00:35 PM »
I'm a noob coder.

One of the things that I'd like to buy playMaker for is creating a first person controller for a mech style game.  Part of the controller would allow you to rotate the top half of the mech at the waist a certain degree while holding down a button (still moving the original direction), and after releasing the button it'll "snap back" with a smooth motion to the original forward facing position.  Is that something that's possible with this?

Thanks!

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
Re: Thinking about purchasing, but I have a question though...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 03:27:25 PM »
yes i would say that would be pretty easy.. I have not done much character stuff at all but that seems like pretty basic stuff..

You can use the built in Character controllers for the main movement and maybe iTween for the rotate? Because you can use iTween for the rotate you can control the curves and the time speed etc.. So press R to rotate over you capture the R down event and do the rotate over then when you let go it captures the R release event and can go to the State with iTween rotate and it can rotate you back to a fixed position with adjustable curves and time... You could even calculate the time to rotate back for based on how far you are rotated around incase you did not go all the way over..

So i have not done it and i have not done any character stuff but i can picture it in my head. If that helps.

Q

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 04:19:51 PM »
Ok i could not resist... I took a break and made this... I know it is super cheesy but kind of gets the point across.. About 15 min of fooling around. Like i said i dont do character stuff.

www.lucidimage.ca/customer/Mech-01.mov

It was fun.

Q

Adam Z

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 04:39:26 PM »
Ok i could not resist... I took a break and made this... I know it is super cheesy but kind of gets the point across.. About 15 min of fooling around. Like i said i dont do character stuff.

www.lucidimage.ca/customer/Mech-01.mov

It was fun.

Q

Wow Q, that's pretty much the concept!  I was thinking about using the AWDS for the movement, and then hold the right mouse button to rotate the torso (and move the weapon cannons along the Y axis for vertical aiming), releasing the right mouse button to "snap" back.

It only took you 15 minutes?!  Have you been using PlayMaker long?

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 08:59:41 PM »
Sounds cool... All that is possible with PlayMaker for sure... And if the actions that are here dont work for you.. just modify them.. Find one that has a little feature you need and add it to one that does not. I do that all the time. It is how i am learning to write scripts.

Not sure how long i have been using it. Not long. Maybe a month and a bit i think.. something like that.

And like i said i dont do characters.. yet anyway so i kind of had to do some trial and error... And with the bullet i expect that you would normally have a fixed one that is linked to your character and then when you fire you probably turn that one off and then create a separate one that does its own thing and is not linked.. But i was just doing something quick and learning as i went too..

Its fun... but work calls and i have to get back to my own mysteries.

My tester just shot its bullet when i took my finger off the turn button. So if i held it on then it would rotate fully and then wait.. The rotate back was automatic when i let go.

I only had forward with the arrow key hooked up and i was pressing that the whole time.

If i was doing this for real i would also try using the Character Controller with it as well. And there are PM actions set up for that as well

Q
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 11:09:37 PM by qholmes »

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 11:10:32 PM »
Ok checked my profile and it looks like i have been kicking around here for just over 3 months.. not sure how much of that i was actively working with it.

But i really like it.

Q

justifun

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 01:13:05 AM »
I would totally recommend it.  I'm a total noob coder as well, and i've been able to make some pretty cool stuff so far.  Once you understand how the flow of states work then your mind starts flowing and you start seeing other games in a "playmaker" mindset and it all becomes easy and clear.  All i wish i had was more time to make cool things!

You wont be disappointed.  Its a fantastic program addon.

Damian

• 1.2 Beta
    • Permaximum Betty
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 01:39:31 AM »
If it one addon to Unity3D you should get then this is the one.
Why?
Well it does help you with alot of things that make it so much easier to to.
If you use android then Playmaker is awesome.
Just to deal with touchscreen just in code in unity3D is a pain in the ass, but with playmaker you just add a FSM for the thing you want to do and it works.
The hardest part is to learn and think in state instead of code.
Im a old coder and thats my biggest problem with Playmaker is to adjust my thinking.
Right now I also have a big issues with a function in Unity3d 3.4 and using Playmaker do solve this issues.
Sure 100$ for an add on can be much of you have a very small budget like i have, but in the end I think it will payoff.
I can do stuff faster and better when i have learned to use playmaker and that will make my games better.
So it will cut my time for making games and it will have less bugs.
Also one BIG benefit with Playmaker is the people here that will help out if they can and the creator of Playmaker that do give you top support and try to solve your problem.
So the support of playmaker is very very good and playmaker do grow and soon you can make whole game with it without any problem.

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 09:31:00 AM »
Right i forgot about support.... it is awesome!

Q