playMaker

Author Topic: Add force faster  (Read 2026 times)

bartleycollin

• Playmaker Newbie
Add force faster
« on: November 30, 2013, 04:59:45 PM »
How can I make my object move faster, sooner, with the Add Force action. When I add the force it takes way to long to make it to it's full speed. Any thoughts?

Breadman

• Derp
Re: Add force faster
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 05:32:07 PM »
Based on your previous topic, it seems that you've added a higher level of drag to help the object slow down naturally.

Since you've increased this, it's going to take longer for the object to "overcome" that drag and reach its desired speed through addforce.

I would either :

A) increase the force to compensate for increased drag (although this might return you to your previous issue)

B) During the state that is active when the key is being pressed, add a "set property" action and change the drag to its original, lower value.

During the state that is active when the directional key is released, add a "set property" action and change the drag to a higher value which corresponds with the desired reduction in speed.

bartleycollin

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 05:47:52 PM »
I've already done B. So that means the drag isn't the issue. Basically, the only time the drag is active is when the ship is in and idle state. So I'm not sure if I'm adding the force wrong or something...

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 10:23:23 PM »
 Change force type to impulse.

As you make changes to your physics based system you must always remember that all of the components of it are connected. There isn't really a single control that will fix your controls rather it's the entire system being tweaked and balanced to feel like you want so try to experiment a lot and i think you'll find how to make the effect you want. physics input types, Rigidbody drag,  angular drag, mass, all along with any calcs you might need to connect other systems for feedback.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 02:12:45 AM »
Hi,

or actually set the velocity directly, that's instant.

bye,

Jean