playMaker

Author Topic: Server Simulation with PlayMaker, without Graphics/Physics  (Read 1803 times)

PalidorPaladin

• Playmaker Newbie
Server Simulation with PlayMaker, without Graphics/Physics
« on: December 03, 2013, 02:12:05 PM »
Hi all,

I'm inquiring as to whether or not one can run a standalone unity server simulation that functions identically to the client with PlayMaker, but without the graphics and/or physics. In other words, if physics and graphics were removed from the equation on a server simulation of the client, would PlayMaker be able to ignore actions that utilize physics/rendering? (Yes we would ensure no gameplay events are linked to things we want stripped on the server :-) )

We are investigating whether or not we can use PlayMaker for everything, or if we need to write our own custom layer for shared state machine routines and use PlayMaker for the "fluff" that only occurs client side.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: In addition, how much of "Unity" needs to be processed on the server for PlayMaker to function? Do we necessarily need a Unity server running, and would we need to load a full scene? Or is it possible to just load the pieces we need and run the simulation on those empty objects?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 02:21:56 PM by PalidorPaladin »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Server Simulation with PlayMaker, without Graphics/Physics
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 05:07:50 AM »
Hi,

you want to build a headless Unity I guess. It is possible for sure, but I never experimented with it yet ( coming soon actually! )

I think that you will have to properly design your game and prefabs so that they know they are running in your headless instance, and accomodate everything around that fact to match what you want to do in this running instance. That's all there is to it I guess. Like a networked player must disable it's input when the network view is "not mine".

bye,

Jean