playMaker

Author Topic: I don't know where to start unity editor has stopped working  (Read 13597 times)

cgmonkey

• Playmaker Newbie
I don't know where to start unity editor has stopped working
« on: January 11, 2014, 04:29:28 PM »
I have worked as a creative artist for many years but new to the development side of things.
I have had multiple problems with unity crashing to the point I can't use the project.
I don't have any coding experience which is why I picked Playmaker.

I had a the project crash when selecting objects, I fixed that one by creating a new and copying everything over.
I then had the project crash after adding the mecanim actions.  Well crash is the wrong way of describing it. Playmaker was removed and I couldn't add it again. The only way I could get the project working was to copy the libraries across but on close the would get removed????

Again creating a new project and copying things over appeared to fix it. But when playing with mecanim crashes the project, Unity editor has stopped working.

I have transferred the project to another computer as I work on a surface pro and wanted to make sure that wasn't the problem but it still crashes.

This may be an experience thing, it may not be playmakers fault and worst still I'm probably expecting you guys to offer a solution to a needle in a hey stack problem but felt the need to post somewhere.

Any help would be great.

MajorIdea

Re: I don't know where to start unity editor has stopped working
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 09:16:52 PM »
That's a pretty puzzling issue. The only thing that comes to mind is compatibility issues from switching versions. Both unity and playmaker warn us to backup our project before updating.
Yea, I don't know but good luck.

cgmonkey

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 04:54:57 AM »
I'm going to start again as there isn't a huge amount of work in some respects, this is a learning project.
I will start a new project and get the animations working then add the controls etc step by step, that way I will hopefully be able to find the cause or even better it won't happen again.

cgmonkey

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 02:00:55 PM »
OK, tried this on 2 machines.

Create new project
Add playmaker.
Add capsule
Add FSM
Add playmakerAnimatorActions.
Add play animator to state, add the animator controller in the error message.
Save scene
Close
Open scene
Click on capsule
UnityEditor stops working..

I do get this error message after adding animator actions, not sure if it's related.

Assets/Photon Unity Networking/PlayMaker/Editor/PlayMakerPhotonWizard.cs(103,34): warning CS0618: `UnityEditor.EditorGUIUtility.LookLikeControls(float)' is obsolete: `LookLikeControls and LookLikeInspector modes are deprecated. Use EditorGUIUtility.labelWidth and EditorGUIUtility.fieldWidth to control label and field widths.'

As I said tried that on my surface and Dell laptop. Will try on another machine if I get chance tomorrow.

cgmonkey

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 02:07:31 PM »
Quicker method to crashing

New project
Add playmaker
Add animator actions
Close unity
Open unity
Add capsule
Crash.

cgmonkey

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 02:18:10 PM »
Sorry for all the posts but trying to get to the bottom of this.

Tried again but this time without the animator window in the layout out and it didn't crash.

I didn't have the window in the viewport for the next test then opened the animator window, no crash. Save scene, close unity, open unity (animator window now in view) click on capsule and crash.

cgmonkey

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 04:33:31 AM »
Tried on a 3rd machine and whilst it doesn't crash on this machine it does remove playmaker.

Tried again this time installing both packages without shutting unity down and had over 999 errors. 
Restarted Unity, it compiled scripts but again playmaker isn't in the menu, there is no editor.

Can anyone please confirm this?
I don't want to have to use the legacy animation system but at the moment trying to use playmaker with mecanim is a total no go for me.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 06:17:59 AM »
Hi,

what are the errors? can you paste the first few ones if different?

The photon warning is harmless, and it will be address in the next playmaker release

bye,

Jean

cgmonkey

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 07:27:46 AM »
The errors on my home machines are

Unity Editor has stopped responding, click ok and Unity disappears.

The one today isn't an error message, Playmaker editor is just not in the menu after added the Animator actions and restarting Unity and will not show itself even on reinstall. The only way I got it to appear after this problem before was to copy the libraries across, but they remove themselves?

If it was just one machine I would assume it was the unity install but as I can't get a scene to work once I add the animator actions I can only assume its those?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 07:29:04 AM »
Hi,

Have you reported this bug to Unity? make sure you include the project, they will have a look.

If it happens on one computer and not another, it coul dbe your antivirus blokcing unity, or actuall lack of antivirus and your OS is struggling.

bye,

Jean

cgmonkey

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 07:44:22 AM »
Will the problem be with Unity? The animator actions are causing Unity to become unstable?

Its only after installing these.
https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/?W1031

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 08:51:30 AM »
I've used those actions recently with no crashing. If the two different computers share similar hardware then it may be a driver issue. Seems weird to be crashing on the animator components though. Are you reinstalling with a fresh download or the same file?

I would report to Unity as Jean suggested, include repro project, hardware specs and OS version.

Try opening Unity, then opening task manager and closing adb.exe as there is an issue with it freezing up Unity when you close the program. Might be related, worth looking at.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

cgmonkey

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 09:09:48 AM »
3 machines all different specs. 2 running windows 8.1 the other Vista.
I did think it would be a driver issue at first as I know the Surface Pro may not be the best hardware to develop on but the other machines are completely different.

Downloaded the animator actions on each machine for install.

I can use them and did on one project for a while until I closed unity and reopened it, that's when the crashing starts.

I have asked on Unity forums as well and will find out how to report an issue and send it off.

I'm

cgmonkey

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 10:08:41 AM »
Got a project that won't crash.
Install the animator actions first then playmaker.  No more crashing, well no immediate crash.

Will continue to test

cgmonkey

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 10:13:57 AM »
Spoke too soon, opened the animator window, close reopen crash.

Don't worry no more posts from me about this until I get this sorted with Unity and I can report solved.